Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

do you think if i plumbed a supercharger into my throttle body/map sensor all in one unit it would shit itself (i.e. making it blow through)

I think they would normally have a pressure release valve so the boost has somewhere to go at low/closed throttle, would a couple PSI push open the butterfly

i doubt its the best way, but i happen to have all the parts sitting there, only other issue is the stock ecu

Will Just want some form of bypass around the charger as you say.  I ran a sc14 pre throttles (itbs).  used the factory toyota stepper bypass and the link controlling it when wanted boost.  But sure you could do a mechanical version of it to achieve similar thing.  

How much would most folk expect to pay for a wheel alignment? We just had one recently (like about a month ago) on the van- cost a fairly usual $75 and I was happy with that.

However- I think my mum just got ripped off by a local garage for a wheel alignment. My brother is trying to sort it out but mum doesn't want to 'rock the boat' because they have "always had great service from this garage"...

I feel pissed off because to me it reeks of a big company taking advantage of old folk etc etc. But before I get too pissed off I thought I'd pop the invoice up here because maybe I am out of touch with pricing. I wont mention the garage name but I have always felt they are a bit fucking steep anyway.

edit- I have noticed they have charged to take a wheel on and off too! (wheel had a parking scuff so needed paint)

Also should add that this company had sold mum this car (30k secondhand) and they have bought several cars from them in the past. I'd expect better service.

Screenshot 2021-06-22 at 19-26-37 Mail - alex - Outlook.png

• Like 1

My brother will be taking the invoice around town and asking at some other shops to get an idea.

Most places in Nelson just charge a one off fee- they win some and lose some and it all evens out -  like you say some cars are quick and easy to set up and others take more time/seized tie rods etc.

When I bought the Hilux I took it for a front toe alignment. Guy was like "Yeah bro, fiddy bux"

An hour and a half later of us attacking the tie rods with heat and hammers and all tools known to man the alignment was done.

Tyres haven't worn out yet, so it must have been a goodun

2 minutes ago, AllTorque said:

Looks to me they have removed the wheel from the car, removed the tyre from the wheel, repaired the wheel, painted the wheel, fit the tyre, balanced the tyre.

Yeah that would explain that $42 cost a lot better. I feel like the invoice could have a bit more detail.

I should add that my brother had originally gone in with the car to show them the scuffed wheel and they quoted him roughly $250 to repair the wheel and another $75 or $80 for an alignment. But he never got this in writing (Who does? You would just usually trust what said eh)

1 minute ago, AllTorque said:

Sublet, so another company has done the alignment. Maybe they are charging time for the apprentice to drive the car to the alignment place and check his Facebook while they do the alignment and drive the car back to work?

wheel/tyre shop is owned by the same firm. Sublet out to another 'department' for more chance to charge extra youth facebook posting costs....

I think that last line is a bit misleading, I’m reading it as they’ve removed the other 3 wheels at a cost of $42.50 ea (totalling $127.50 of the $236)  balanced all four wheels ($10ea?) then done an alignment which would be the $80 or whatever remainder.

but just ask them to clarify