Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Winter tyres 

I now live about 25km out of Taupo where it gets quite foggy and wet and allegedly black icy 

I run fairly newish Boto Genysys (more or less China spec) tyres that are OK for the daily (ae101 corolla) in dry conditions but in the wet they suck. Understeering is really easy and so is skidding, yesterday with a bit of rain I coasted to a stop sign and from about 60km/h 100m or so from the sign I braked and just skidded to a stop. 

I'm considering buying a set of 16s with newish Dunlop snow tyres on them, should be alright since I usually only drive morning and night, and theyd only be marginally taller than my current set up. 

I could also get name brand all seasons, but I would like to go to the snow this winter, moreso important for Mt Taranaki which is a heartier drive than Mt Ruapehu.. 

Thoughts? 

Some snow tyres are legal but they have a different tread minimum. 

They are garbage to drive on though. Heaps of tread squirm so they always have some 'slip' when braking/accelerating/cornering. 

Driving something powerful on snow tyres is lol

• Like 3

Say I have some 205/60r14 Yokohamas kicking about 

What if I go and get 2x yokos in 195/60r14 or 185/60r14 and swap them for my shitty tyres, put them on the rear, and then run the 205s up front? As 205/60 seems to be an uncommon size on the tard

I dunno why you're complicating this, just goto the tyre shop and tell the guy what you want. Buying second hand tyres can get fucked for a daily tbh, you gotta check the date code to see how long you got till they fall apart.

I've used motor treads in the past and he's been great for doing exactly what I asked of him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

You can't get decent tyres for snow tyre money. Save up and get something decent wet / dry. Snow driving will be like 1% of the time, so not worth dedicating much towards.

Even free snow tyres are a bad deal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bling said:

Even free snow tyres are a bad deal.

I once put a set of free  Bridgestone blizzaks on a Subaru leone wagon ski hack. 

that thing was incredible. We never needed chains once. 

But otherwise,

Snow tyres belong on the burn pile!

On 07/06/2021 at 11:32, 87creepin said:

Winter tyres 

I'm considering buying a set of 16s with newish Dunlop snow tyres on them, should be alright since I usually only drive morning and night, and theyd only be marginally taller than my current set up?

Any tyre is fine in the dry. If you look around you on your drive to work I can garantee that nobody either way on your communte is running seasonal specific tyres. If they can make it to work fine you can too maybe look at getting decent tyres? Makes way more of a difference then you would think.

Put these on my partners Ae101 in a 175/70R13 and I rate them for a good not horrific priced tyre. Think they were $120ea. Great in the wet we smashed a few ks in it and never had any pucker moments.

https://www.hyperdrive.co.nz/product/4293/michelin-energy-xm2

• Like 1

Yep, everyone who replied is right. I thought winter tyres may work given all the stuff thats on the net about them, but seems like its all non credible shit. Only good for snow, got it. 

I was going to work out something staggered to save co$ts with some yokohamas I have kicking about but not worth it, I'll instead just get save for brand new good tyres and some nice wheels. 

Driving a bit more conservatively in the rain etc costs $0

• Like 3

On 07/06/2021 at 13:10, 87creepin said:

Say I have some 205/60r14 Yokohamas kicking about 

What if I go and get 2x yokos in 195/60r14 or 185/60r14 and swap them for my shitty tyres, put them on the rear, and then run the 205s up front? As 205/60 seems to be an uncommon size on the tard

My experience of changing tyre sizes (which also happened to be an ae101 but it was a levin) stock was 195/55/15 and I changed to 205/40/17 I think. Wet weather performance was much better on the narrower tyre. I found the same thing on my ae82, it had 175s on it any it hooked up in the wet phenomenally. I'm no expert but I think going wider will make things worse*

*I don't know what I am talking about, anecdotal experience only. Not financial advice.

• Like 1