Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah nah sounds like timing is way up the shitter.

Has that raspy running tone to it and trying to crank against an ignition stoke. Wind the dizzy back, or figure out wtfs gone wrong with the tone wheel. Whatever that engine runs, 4G64s had both at some point in life.

Fucked cam timing won't cause that kinda shit on its own, but if the ign is triggered from a cam then that could be the issue.

It's been awhile since I've played with one of these fucks so I can't recall exactly how they operate off the top of my head. I recall some junk running off the cam pulley and being shit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sanity check:

I connected the (fully charged) battery in my AE85 for the first time in a number of months. I connected the positive first, then when I went to connect the negative I got an impressive amount of sparks. I tightened the connections, then noticed that both terminals were getting really hot and starting to smoke.

Ignition was definitely off, so there shouldn't have been any significant draw. Short on the positive cable somewhere?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sambo said:

Sanity check:

I connected the (fully charged) battery in my AE85 for the first time in a number of months. I connected the positive first, then when I went to connect the negative I got an impressive amount of sparks. I tightened the connections, then noticed that both terminals were getting really hot and starting to smoke.

Ignition was definitely off, so there shouldn't have been any significant draw. Short on the positive cable somewhere?

Positive terminal on the starter motor touching the block...or maybe got a spanner or something on it?

4 hours ago, Sambo said:

Sanity check:

Did the heavy +ve cable that goes to the starter motor get hot?

1 hour ago, waspman said:

Have found these Toyota shims, quick Google says kingpin shims? Are these something that people require?

20210514_204520.jpg

yeah they sit under the steering knuckle, to set the preload on the kingpin bearings.  Used on live axle front  hilux's and the likes.   They usually come with axle rebuild kit's.  so no great value or anything 

8 hours ago, sr2 said:

Did the heavy +ve cable that goes to the starter motor get hot?

10 hours ago, Adoom said:

Positive terminal on the starter motor touching the block...or maybe got a spanner or something on it?

I'll have to check tonight. The battery is in the boot, so it wasn't immediately apparent.

8 hours ago, kpr said:

yeah they sit under the steering knuckle, to set the preload on the kingpin bearings.  Used on live axle front  hilux's and the likes.   They usually come with axle rebuild kit's.  so no great value or anything 

Thanks, in the scrap bin they go!

The spigot shaft on my ford is long but I want to put an 8mm plate in between the gearbox and the bell housing to adapt another gearbox, dose it matter if the splines don’t go all the way through the clutch centre but most of the way? 

5B4E6BAD-BB74-4AA9-B219-9C3EACFFD07D.jpeg