Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea I stripped my entire ute tray to bare metal. The cup brush was fine, but not as good as the strip discs. The strip disc also gives a nicer metal finish than the cup brush. I tried chemical as well which was useless for anything that wasn't a single layer of paint (three respray and bog) was messy, smelly, and slow going, still needed mechanical finishing to get the little bits off. 

Cup brush was good for underseal, did a decent job at the paint and bog but the strip discs won out to the point where I went and got more instead of finishing with the cup brush that I already had (I have a few makita ones in different sizes) 

That's my experience over a hundred odd hours of using allsorts on my ute. It's got plenty to test

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ive spent a little time today chipping away at it with a wood chisel, which is working. Still going to need to use the stripping disk to tidy it up, but chipping out the big chunks helps. Im a huge fan of strip disks though, they're super effective. 

The over all winner (other than a stripping disc)? A heat gun and sharp wood chisel. Heat the bog/panel up hot, and the bog just peels off easy. A stripping disc will clean the panel up afterwards, but its pretty clean as it is. The chisel works best when held as close to parallel with the panel as possible.

• Thanks 1

Vapour blasting was legit for my tank

bit harder to chuck a complete car in a cabinet tho

/ there’s a localish mobile guy advertising pretty sure I asked him how much for my car and he never got back to me 

44 minutes ago, Testament said:

172695242_1337452633284805_3703839131717907354_n.thumb.jpg.b11fb5f8d675c9bc5dce54a8ae423f4e.jpg

Golf ball inlet port?
Yeah I dunno, anyone seen/heard of this? I'm thinking that's quite different a golf ball spins/rotates and does a higher speed for a while at least. Cool points for aesthetics though.

Race car paint has "orange peel" finish for the same reason, supposed to improve flow by disturbing the layer of air that "clings" to the surface.

Some discussion here

http://speed.academy/10-myths-of-cylinder-head-porting/

https://forums.mightycarmods.com/forum/technical/tech-talk/798217-porting-clearing-the-elephant-in-the-room-about-rough-vs-smooth-vs-dimples

• Like 1