Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate it when people mix flux with water, it's so much easier to use when in powder form. 

Heat welding rod, dip into flux, bit of heat onto the join and smear flux on there too.

Rod back into the powder, then do weld.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

How in the holy bastard of a thing do i remove this paint pen? Its been on there ages id say. Have tried brake cleaner (which took a lot of it off, but then sorta stopped working), turps, iso alcohol, orange based cleaner, fibreglass brush, contact cleaner, window cleaner. Nothing seems to touch whats left of it, and i cannot risk damage to the plastic.

OP6gd1K.jpg

On 11/03/2021 at 09:13, SOHC said:

This flux recommends mixing with water and some detergent, should I mix the whole lot up? 

7A519377-FE86-4A5E-A600-7B136D9A77F9.jpeg

The detergent is so the left over flux can be mixed with water again. If you just use water it sets hard and doesn't dissolve. 

Just mix what you will use or heat and dip

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, tortron said:

The detergent is so the left over flux can be mixed with water again. If you just use water it sets hard and doesn't dissolve. 

Just mix what you will use or heat and dip

I hate this flux it balls up and rolls away, I use to like that pink shit made by CIG 

20 hours ago, kws said:

How in the holy bastard of a thing do i remove this paint pen? Its been on there ages id say. Have tried brake cleaner (which took a lot of it off, but then sorta stopped working), turps, iso alcohol, orange based cleaner, fibreglass brush, contact cleaner, window cleaner. Nothing seems to touch whats left of it, and i cannot risk damage to the plastic.

Tried vinegar?

I had some gunked up carbs that petrol, acetone and other nasty ass solvents wouldn't clean, than later vinegar seemed to work. Weird, but...

23 hours ago, kws said:

OP6gd1K.jpg

Carb cleaner works good on it, but I can't say how good it is on plastic

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/03/2021 at 18:31, kws said:

OP6gd1K.jpg

Give a toothbrush a go with some more alcohol. Failing that try some cutting (for paint) compound with the toothbrush if it doesn't get it off it'll be really clean.

I've found some moderately thin bog on the front guard, and Im in the process of removing it so I can panel bash the dents out. I've been using one of those poly strip disks on the grinder, which is AMAZING, but holy shit its messy. Anyone got any ideas on removing the bog without ended up with a ton of dust everywhere? I pried some bits off with a screwdriver originally, but they were only loose because of rust behind them, the rest seems to be quite well stuck on. Im happy to use the strip disk on to tidy it up once the bulk is removed by other means.

MmYGb5m.jpg

4 hours ago, tortron said:

The only way I have found that's better is to get someone else to do it. 

Strip disc it is 

Damn, might have to wait until I can get the car outside and just let nature deal with the dust instead.

• Like 2