Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Dad has a 1929 Dodge, usual stuff for that era, flathead 6 with 6 volt electrics etc. Kinda a dumb question but how big and juicy should the spark at plugs be? Have changed the coil as original is suspect and has ignition key built - in to the end. Pain in the butt. Anyway the replacement 6 Volt coil seems to check out OK resistance wise but when cranking on a good (n.o.s) plug the spark is kinda weak. Any thoughts?

Yeah good point, not checked. These things have an advance/retard lever up on the steering wheel that turns the distributor a bit, and I did notice that the distributor seemed a bit loose on the mount.

More research required.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, tortron said:

Does Japan have a carjam thing? 

asking cos my DR on carjam says previously registered in Japan and first rego in NZ 1989, so curious if i can use the frame/chassis number to dig up some documents

All the data is available but at a price because in Japan you can get the info but you have to physically go into the licencing agent and pay some fees.  I can dig up the name of the place if you want, not sure off the top of my head. 

7 minutes ago, tortron said:

no i just was curious if i could get any info on its time in japan

life on a japanese farm, providing gentle nangs to the cows etc

Lol, cows. 

One of the best things about Japan is the massive lack of livestock compared to here.  Rice fields and other crops everywhere, we drove all over and saw one farm that had cattle/livestock. 

On 20/02/2021 at 21:52, kws said:

Anyone know where in NZ to buy a rubber washer for my radiator fill plug? ID is about 18mm OD 30mm. Would've been about 2mm thick. Its probably imperial too, so maybe 3/4".

Just as a followup, grabbed one of these from M10 and there are a couple that stretch over nicely. Shame to spend $30 for one seal, but ill use the others at some point.

https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/swordfish-flat-rubber-washer-assortment-725-piece/p/337199

• 2 weeks later...

Any old diesel barry's out there?

I picked up this Lister SR2 last year and am trying to get it to run. It's an air cooled all mechanical boat motor.

I think the problem I'm having is that the governor / fuel rack isn't moving.

Anyone have relevant experience?

P1060900.JPG

• Like 1