Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the recommendations. Sorry, forgot there was a paint thread. Have been to the paint suppliers and grabbed some paint, clearcoat and filler.

I suspect the previous repair was done over bare metal and moisture got under the bog as the metal was very pitted.

• Thanks 1

Anyone know a good off the shelf alloy wheel cleaner? We had a really good commercial wheel acid at a previous job which took brake dust off easy as, but dont have access to that anymore. Wheels have baked on dust, and are standard factory alloys, no polished lip etc. Tried the CRC foaming stuff, didnt touch it so want something stronger without spending hours scrubbing them.

55 minutes ago, kws said:

Anyone know a good off the shelf alloy wheel cleaner? We had a really good commercial wheel acid at a previous job which took brake dust off easy as, but dont have access to that anymore. Wheels have baked on dust, and are standard factory alloys, no polished lip etc. Tried the CRC foaming stuff, didnt touch it so want something stronger without spending hours scrubbing them.

Wheel muck plus. Flouro green stuff in a spray bottle, I get mine from repco

• Like 2

Sounds like its between Mag Monster and Wheelmuck.

Have tried dragons breath before and didnt really think much of it for brake dust, but that was baked on stuff. Probably works well on normal on-the-surface brake dust.

So I have a DC tig welding issue. I'm still new to tig.

I'm trying to weld some mild steel exhaust tube, so it's 1.6mm thick.

The arc is not shooting straight out the end of the electrode, it's pissing off at an angle, about 45  degrees.  If I get it REALLY close to the puddle, it looks like it's straight, but really, it's still at an angle.

I'm using 30-35 amps. 

I've made sure I have a good connection with the ground clamp.

I've cleaned the work with acetone.

I've tried striking an arc on a thick steel plate and turning up the amps to 170. But it's still doing it.

I assumed it was the grind on the electrode. I tried regrinding it by hand. I tried turning it in the drill while grinding it on the bench grinder. I've tried a really sharp point and a not so sharp point. I've tried a different electrode. I've tried a shorter stick out. It all seems to make no difference.

WTF else should I try?

26 minutes ago, Adoom said:

So I have a DC tig welding issue. I'm still new to tig.

I'm trying to weld some mild steel exhaust tube, so it's 1.6mm thick.

The arc is not shooting straight out the end of the electrode, it's pissing off at an angle, about 45  degrees.  If I get it REALLY close to the puddle, it looks like it's straight, but really, it's still at an angle.

I'm using 30-35 amps. 

I've made sure I have a good connection with the ground clamp.

I've cleaned the work with acetone.

I've tried striking an arc on a thick steel plate and turning up the amps to 170. But it's still doing it.

I assumed it was the grind on the electrode. I tried regrinding it by hand. I tried turning it in the drill while grinding it on the bench grinder. I've tried a really sharp point and a not so sharp point. I've tried a different electrode. I've tried a shorter stick out. It all seems to make no difference.

WTF else should I try?

Polarity is correct? 

11 hours ago, cletus said:

Polarity is correct? 

Yes, positive ground.  

10 hours ago, kws said:

faq-c.jpg

I have ground them like the top picture, but I have a point, not a flat. I have come across conflicting information whether there should be a point or a flat end at low currents.

I will try it with a flat tip today. Hopefully that's it,.