Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

On 25/10/2020 at 07:49, SOHC said:

Is there a place that sells vintage tires in Auckland? I need something like 6.40 15” for my T. 

I got some sweet Destone 700-15” light truck tires for the rear, it’s very hard to find something that doesn’t look like shit.

http://classic-tyres.co.nz/wp/ 

this would be your man.

• Like 1

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keeping on topic of tyres, I'm looking at these for my family wagon as my wife has a habit of parking by feel. https://www.trademe.co.nz/2834853803

Stud pattern and centre bore are identical, offset is slightly weaker, 45 vs 39. Stock is 18x7.5 vs these are 16x6. 

Load rating is quite different as they're obviously off a Hiace and a 'light commercial tyre' 

Tell me why I shouldn't do it... 

What are they going on? Does it have decent sized brakes? Current tyre size for overall diameter?

I'd always go with tyres made for the vehicle type they are going on, but if price is the main driver then it will be hard to compete.

2 hours ago, Willdat? said:

Keeping on topic of tyres, I'm looking at these for my family wagon as my wife has a habit of parking by feel. https://www.trademe.co.nz/2834853803

Stud pattern and centre bore are identical, offset is slightly weaker, 45 vs 39. Stock is 18x7.5 vs these are 16x6. 

Load rating is quite different as they're obviously off a Hiace and a 'light commercial tyre' 

Tell me why I shouldn't do it... 

They will have more layers of fabric and a taller side wall

2 hours ago, Bling said:

What are they going on? Does it have decent sized brakes? Current tyre size for overall diameter?

I'd always go with tyres made for the vehicle type they are going on, but if price is the main driver then it will be hard to compete.

Going on a 2GR-FE powered Toyota Mark X Zio, having said that it doesn't get driven like a race car as handling is towards comfort. Price isn't really the purpose, a meaty side wall that my wife can crash into curbs with glee is the idea...The brakes should be easily cleared with 16s as the 2AZ model has the same brakes AFAIK.

7 hours ago, ajg193 said:

Enough rubbed curbs will wear off the writing on the sidewall on even the beefiest tyres - rendering them illegal

Good observation, she doesn't technically aim for the gutter, it just feels like it when you run the spokes of alloys across the kerb once every couple of months. 

• Like 1