Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I got my Volvo some arsehole had cracked one all the way in cross threaded, it was hard going to get it out, I had to seat the gasket of the new  plug in another plug hole and wrap it in tinfoil, held for a few years then came loose.

Has anyone had any experience with mating a new auto trans to an older engine of different make?

Thinking late model electronic 6 speed auto, probably toyota sourced, behind a rover v8. 

I'd need an adaptor for the bellhousing, but how would you go about the flex plate and torque converter?

The electric side of it isn't an issue, more the physical mounting. 

Unfortunately "modern" rover stuff is all awd so no good in rwd settings. There is someone that has mixed a bmw and range rover trans to make a rwd 4 speed, which is an idea but a nice smooth shifting 6 speed would be better. 

On 16/10/2020 at 14:27, kws said:

The electric side of it isn't an issue, more the physical mounting. 

Unfortunately "modern" rover stuff is all awd so no good in rwd settings. There is someone that has mixed a bmw and range rover trans to make a rwd 4 speed, which is an idea but a nice smooth shifting 6 speed would be better. 

If you used the rv8 bellhousing from a 4.6 on a bmw 4hp24 you can have it all working with cheap parts. It starts getting expensive when you have to make adapters and use fancy trans controllers 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kws said:

I guess if i used an RV8 bellhousing on a bmw ZF auto i could probably use the RV8 torque convertor and flex plate too, as long as the input shaft is the same?

Yep just grab the lot from a 4.6 p38 range rover. The 4.6 had a the biggest torque converter that was used on the rv8. You can use the trans controller from the p38 too.

What are you using it in?

Looking for options to use in an SD1 instead of the poxy 3 speed they come with standard.

Ive seen this article, but it shows its a lot harder to get it working with a BMW box than it appears, mainly thanks to the inhibitor switch and shifter. https://www.aronline.co.uk/cars/rover/cars-brown-rover-receives-zf-transplant-part-one/

I'd like to avoid stripping and rebuilding autos as the insides of them are a bit of black magic to me.

32 minutes ago, kws said:

Looking for options to use in an SD1 instead of the poxy 3 speed they come with standard.

Ive seen this article, but it shows its a lot harder to get it working with a BMW box than it appears, mainly thanks to the inhibitor switch and shifter. https://www.aronline.co.uk/cars/rover/cars-brown-rover-receives-zf-transplant-part-one/

I'd like to avoid stripping and rebuilding autos as the insides of them are a bit of black magic to me.

Would you want to use the electronic or hydraulic controlled version, the hydraulic controlled version would be a very easy conversion. 

Quick Q.

Rear brake pads have a 3 prong clip that goes inside the Piston. I see lots of replacements without this clip. Assuming it is fine without but wanted to check. Mainly so I can purchase pads from Rock Auto at a fraction of the price

On 18/10/2020 at 09:49, Toucan said:

Quick Q.

Rear brake pads have a 3 prong clip that goes inside the Piston. I see lots of replacements without this clip. Assuming it is fine without but wanted to check. Mainly so I can purchase pads from Rock Auto at a fraction of the price

Only just saw this, is it just the thin backing plate? Bit late on the reply eh.

Is there a place that sells vintage tires in Auckland? I need something like 6.40 15” for my T. 

I got some sweet Destone 700-15” light truck tires for the rear, it’s very hard to find something that doesn’t look like shit.