Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure where it pitted wasn't tiny bits of rust? Even after a grind down you'd likely have dots below finished surface. I've found that sort of stuff goes for the easy stuff first. I've dunked bits in that are 100% legit in areas and rusty in others. The legit bit doesn't even get touched, but it will eventually work it's way down into the pits a layer of rust at a time.

It was under about 8 coats of paint including the factory original.

It was 30cm minimum away from any damaged paint 

(The pitting is where the paint was rubbed off on high points)

Everything had been strip disked and wire wheeled.

This was as clean and white as metal gets.

It seems to have only etched into it where the cloth was touching. Half of it was only wrapped in plastic and though it discoloured the steel there it doesn't appear to have etched it (sanding marks not rounded off like you would see after a light acid wash)

Petrol carb motor hard to start when hot....any obvious things to check? My ute generally takes  a bit of effort to start when its hot (i.e. stopping during a long drive or whatever) and takes a few goes to get to it catch. Seems to stumble a bit then cleans up quickly and runs fine (well as fine as it normally runs). 

Also has a slight intermittent miss under load and low rpm. Doubt its related but figured I'd throw that in the mix. Has new leads and plugs in the recent past.

1 hour ago, Beaver said:

Short of replacing it and seeing if anything changes, is there a way to test?

Check resistance in primary and secondary windings. They fail due to insulation breaking down. low resistance or very high resistance is bad. 

1 hour ago, Beaver said:

Any tips for checking/fixing this?

If engine stalls or is hard to start pour water over carb and fuel pump to cool them down. If it fixes the problem then your fuel is getting too hot. 

• Like 2

Just now, nzed said:

Timing slightly out? Does it need a bit of peddle to get going? 

Hard to say for sure as I sort of just try everything all at once to get it going but yeh, would say it definitely needs some gas before it will go. That reminds me, I've been meaning to check the timing actually as it's sometimes a bit pingy under heavy load.

• Like 1

Id say thats a good clue to your problem. Could be a coil issue  as well as breaking down under load is a common ignition fault but also if you are able to fix the timing first it could resolve all your problems or at least the miss may not be as noticeable.   

• Like 2