Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

Who.knows about heat pumps?

Our Daikin makes a shitty noise when the side to side Louvre tries to sweep the extremities of its travel in each direction. It doesnt appear to go all the way? The clicking noise is shit. 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 08/05/2020 at 21:15, RUNAMUCK said:

Our Daikin makes a shitty noise when the side to side Louvre tries to sweep the extremities of its travel in each direction. It doesnt appear to go all the way? The clicking noise is shit. 

"Does your heatpump make funny noises? Our Daikin does!"

/radio ad spam

On 08/05/2020 at 21:15, RUNAMUCK said:

My mums mitsy is creaky when on oscillation.. I think the plastic gets old and sticks, just aim it where you want the heat or you could try using a silicon lubricant on the actuator. 

Speaking of, do the fuse ratings for those continental fuses directly translate to the modern blade fuses? ie 5A is 5A? I think i read somewhere that its glass fuses that arent a direct swap for blade fuses?

Glass come in different speeds.  If you have something that's likely to have a quick spike in current above ya  5amp  but normally the draw is less. you would use a slow blow.  Otherwise use normal fast blow. 

I just tried some evaporust on some steel sheet. It was too big to fit in a container, so I covered it in a towel, poured the liquid on, then wrapped in plastic and left over night.

It's heavily etched the clean steel so there's visible pits where cloth was touching (can see the pattern of the cloth). Naturally it didn't do anything to the dark metal in the Pits I was hoping to treat.

Oh and then the whole lot flash rusted when I scrubbed it with boiling water and blew it off with the compressor.

So I had to hit it again with a cup brush, so now I'm back at the beginning, except with lots of tiny but clean pits all over it

Pretty sure it says on the tin it won't do that.

It can take a few treatments. I have had pretty good experience with similar products. Deep pits will take more time for sure. When I have big areas I just keep brushing it on to keep it wet while doing other jobs. Have used it on some pretty serious rust, but works better if it's only having to dissolve small thicknesses. Except for small parts that will be consistently wet (totally submerged) I haven't left parts with it on overnight, results would be patchy as most of it would dry.

How was the condition of the material before treatment?

Shiny clean metal apart from some localised pitting as I had gone over it with a strip disc and cup brush first. I even hit some of the pitted areas with a die grinder to remove the bulk of it, these remain but the clean white metal is now pitted

All of it was kept wet via the sheet and plastic wrap. Left for 20 hours, tho I realise it's winter.

IMG_20200522_115415.thumb.jpg.e1efe55be4bb2f9c45717f304edf6164.jpg

Here you can see the check pattern from the towel has etched in, it was all smooth white metal like this

I read some people had issues with cast iron. But this is plain old sheet metal. Pretty sure it has a factory electro galv on it though as some has sat stripped to bare metal in my shed for a couple years.

Il use straight acid or soda blast the pits next time

IMG_20200522_115916.jpg

I think I'd have pitted the good metal to the point of having to scrap it if I left it long enough to do the pitted parts.

Soaking a rag or paper towel is evaporust recommend procedure as well. 

Basically I'm ranting because I bought it but it took ages to get here, so I bought some rust converter but it turned out to be half fish oil without being described as such, and I couldn't get any basic phosphoric acid without waiting even longer. Tried to get some putty to dam in only the pitted areas but no where had any and it has been on backorder for weeks. So I used the whole container and wrapped it all up and all its done is mark the clean metal.

A soda blaster would have been a better use of funds

I just ground it down again with the die grinder, went over the whole lot twice with a wire wheel and again twice with sandpaper and put a quarter inch of durepox on it, ain't got time for environmentally friendly bs