Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

20 hours ago, kws said:

I wouldn't use one myself, i'd rather pay the money and have a radiator shop recore an original one, or go for a good aftermarket brand if its something more common.

Yeah a recore is an option for sure. But it will likely cost twice what a brand new aluminium radiator will. Which i'd be open to if I had oodles of money (I don't) and didn't need to buy a new heater core too. Just doing research to see what is my best bang for buck really. Haven't seen an aftermarket one yet in anything other than full aluminium. No one sells the heater core either, so i'll have to modify one to suit. Recore on that won't work as the end is fucked lol. Just old car life, just wanting something that will do the trick. 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Bling said:

Yeah a recore is an option for sure. But it will likely cost twice what a brand new aluminium radiator will. Which i'd be open to if I had oodles of money (I don't) and didn't need to buy a new heater core too. Just doing research to see what is my best bang for buck really. Haven't seen an aftermarket one yet in anything other than full aluminium. No one sells the heater core either, so i'll have to modify one to suit. Recore on that won't work as the end is fucked lol. Just old car life, just wanting something that will do the trick. 

I guess it has a warranty, so just.... yolo?

Yeah probably a year. Will keep on looking into it while lockdown is a thing as they have a store in town, so may go visit when things open up. Currently radiator doesn't leak too much, a lot more than it should for one I paid to be fixed a while ago though. Thanks for all the replies, gives me something to ponder.

PK belts,

Theres no.reduction in their lifespan if these are wound around tensioners yeah? I'm sure @- i5oogt - old b25m50 had a belt about four feet long that wound around all manor of tensioners. 

I've relocated the alternator on.my ute, and the sweep of the tensioner means theres not a great deal belt wrap on the alternator pulley. I'm thinking a smallish pulley mounted on a conveniently placed bolt hole on the motor will increase the wrap considerably.

• Like 1

On the subject of cooling.    Anyone know a good supplier for tube and fin intercooler cores?  Have been looking at PWR and the likes.     After tube and fin for more airflow and less weight.  market is flooded with china bar and plate boat anchors

6 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

PK belts,

Theres no.reduction in their lifespan if these are wound around tensioners yeah? I'm sure @- i5oogt - old b25m50 had a belt about four feet long that wound around all manor of tensioners. 

I've relocated the alternator on.my ute, and the sweep of the tensioner means theres not a great deal belt wrap on the alternator pulley. I'm thinking a smallish pulley mounted on a conveniently placed bolt hole on the motor will increase the wrap considerably.

they have a min turn radius that will dictate idler size

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yowzer said:

VQ waterpumps run off the timing chain. It's behind that black plate on the right.

dqfru6UnvUB2L1XIg1Htur3lVv5OhtyU8qMQtSdj

Still not much wrap but it has teeth. I do not really enjoy replacing them as they tend to seize in there.

Lol, I have a fwd maxima with the early faulty guides. The plastic bit behind the red square slides down and the tensioner hasn't got enough extension to tighten the chain.

I have found that if you leave the car off for a week or 2, the piston will retract enough to start the car pinned for a full Italian tune up. The chain goes so fast it pushes the plastic bit up the guide before the tensioner piston can be pushed out and shes fixed for 6 months!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6