Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

A search on here did bring up rumours of quality change @ Fenix at some point in the past. They all look to be much of a muchness. 

Will check them out, will do more homework on Fenix / copper ones. Cheers team.

edit - Redline do one for my car, that should require slightly less modification. Promising.

• Like 1

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Yowzer said:

I recommend running red antifreeze with an alloy radiator, and I'm basing that on cars that run alloy radiators almost always run red / pink antifreeze.

There's probably some reason behind it.

Yeah a lot of talk on the web about coolants. Green and red both seem to state they are compatible with everything. Just not each other, in any volume lol. You're right though, red does contain more "stuff" to protect aluminium. If I go aluminium rad i'll go red.

Just now, kpr said:

Just don't mount them too solid and will usually be fine. 

It seems they come from the factory (AE70) with only three of four holes lining up (two of which are rubber mounted). Thought one may have had a prang so didn't line up. Checked other car and sure enough, mounting hole seems to be in the wrong spot from the factory. It does sit in a rubber padded craddle too though, so not going far.

I wonder if the one random bolt that actually contacts the radiator itself is an earth?

The fenix alloy core radiators with plastic tanks are one to steer clear from. I had one in my ae81 actually suck the bottom edged of the tank away from the sealing edge of the core when it cooled down. A1 took it apart to diagnose the issue and apparently there wasnt a lip for the tank to sit against? Either way I got a refund. 

People like to say a product is shit, but as it's an aftermarket product, you also have to take into consideration as to how it's installed. For example if it is solid mounted to the bulkhead with no electrical isolation and they're running mediocre earths and a 10:1 antifreeze ratio, then it's not the radiators fault it shat itself. Not to say Fenix is or isn't shit, but if it's cheap, chances are so is the install. And the people who have no issues probably aren't as vocal.

• Like 4

Just now, datlow said:

Mine have always been the plastic ends that have failed... never had a alloy core go

/jdm radiators 

I noticed a small.leak on exploder a few weeks ago.

Small leak untill I touched it and the bottom tube blew apart and dumped it's guts on the driveway lol

But yea also one I had go was split plastic. Both being 20 or so years old

• Haha 1

Just now, tortron said:

Plenty of factory rads are aluminium with plastic ends.

Oh for sure, but if the bottom basically falls off, the design of that particular one can't be great. I think all my modern junk has the plastic stuff.

• Like 1

We often replace failed radiators with aftermarket units, and you can visually see the quality isn't as good. They're also usually well under $200 and our customers are cheapskates, so meh, ya get what ya pay for. They've all lasted so far.

• Like 1

We have done a few Fenix at work, all full alloy units. Most seem to be OK, but we have had a couple that leaked out of the box, and one that was physically damaged in the box but the box wasnt damaged. They have been pretty quick to swap out faulty units for us. They are cheap though, so yeah.

I wouldn't use one myself, i'd rather pay the money and have a radiator shop recore an original one, or go for a good aftermarket brand if its something more common.

• Like 2