Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

If you want to go faster at the drags and have limited intercooler sizing something like this co2 spray kit would be an option to consider. (or better still build your own) 

https://designengineering.com/intercooler-sprayer-kit/

As mentioned above if you rely on water meth injection and tune to capacity you run the risk of a meltdown.. 

• Like 1

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 20/11/2019 at 16:15, Spencer said:

... new stack of risk as you are reliant on another active fuel system to be working correctly at all times...

Interesting point, well stated.

@cletus does however already have available a high pressure supply of a volatile substance which will evaporate and cool the Air. It's the petrol. Try extra injector(s) upstream, simplify EFI / mix / AFR setups? Just run hella rich momentarily, safer on the pistons too, right?

• Like 1

Personally i wouldn't bother with the water/ meth. For the more shit to go wrong and blow up your engine reasons.  Have played with injecting water alone and isn't  much to be gained. Meth yes, but if system fails all bad.

Run an intercooler even if its small. Pulling some heat out is better than nothing. Just make sure it flows enough for the engine.  If flows across  the width make sure has plenty of height and thickness, so isn't  a restriction. 

Tune on pump gas for best  boost/ timing compromise.   If want to go fast at the drags of the likes  throw in some race gas and wind up the boost.   Still goin to take the hit on the iat's / lower air density.  But higher octane will deal with knock. 

As im sure everyone already knows, its just a big ballancing act with compression, fuel quality, heat and how much air your trying to jam in there.

• Like 8

what the fuck is up with the Volvo water pumps and that seal to the cylinder head? my home made seal lasted well but it was too compressed to use with the new pump, I have a new one I made tonight from a sway bar link rubber, the factory seal needs to be flat on top and not domed and hollow.

• Like 1

I have had this problem before, I fitted a new Dayco timing belt and a GMB tensioner pulley, and at about 2000 2500 RPM it makes a funny screaming howling noise, and this is with or without fan belts.

Last time I got worried and changed the tensioner and it went away but this time I changed it and its still doing it, I set the belt tension by letting the spring pressure push it tight and turn the motor over by hand then lock up the main nut on the stud.

I was reading new belts can make a noise for a little wile?

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is after a cost effective Dial Gauge, I picked one of these up today and its shockingly decent for the price. Has a certificate of NZ calibration, and has a decent heft to it, doesnt look or feel cheap. https://www.saecowilson.co.nz/#/Product/info/M339A

Same with the magnetic base, better built than the price lets on https://www.saecowilson.co.nz/#/Product/info/M329

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Im redoing the carpet in the TVR myself, and have a source for the carpet but im stuck on the underlay. The company that supplies the carpet (Basis) has "underfelt" but its made of pressed wool and is not water resistant. Being a glorified swimming pool, I would like an underlay that wont absorb water if it does get wet. I would need a few meters of it. Anyone got any ideas? Im guessing im looking at a foam or something. The Pararubber site doesn't seem to have quite what I think i need, but i could be wrong.

3 minutes ago, kws said:

Im redoing the carpet in the TVR myself, and have a source for the carpet but im stuck on the underlay. The company that supplies the carpet (Basis) has "underfelt" but its made of pressed wool and is not water resistant. Being a glorified swimming pool, I would like an underlay that wont absorb water if it does get wet. I would need a few meters of it. Anyone got any ideas? Im guessing im looking at a foam or something. The Pararubber site doesn't seem to have quite what I think i need, but i could be wrong.

Get underlay from modern cars and trim to size was the advice given to me

• Like 1

I tried to take it apart to see if I could clean the contacts, but I wasn't sure if it was serviceable. And I still had welding to do. 

The issue is sometimes when the trigger is pulled, it trips the breaker for the wall socket. About 50/50 weld/breaker.

What do you guys think?