Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, Ghostchips said:

Do you have tons of old cellphones or some supercap/ultracap's around?  Could make a voltage stabilizer thing.  I have a few shitty zener diodes but i don't like that method.

I dont know much about this topic, could I use one of those capacitors for subwoffers? I have a huge zener diode here 

Does anyone know how I could convert a piezo-electric signal into somethin a control unit would see as either high or low input?
The pieze has around 1V AC, and the control unit wants either 12V DC, or ground as it's input? I have tried using a transistor to pull the control unit to ground, but that was unsuccessful

On 23/08/2019 at 20:16, SOHC said:

I dont know much about this topic, could I use one of those capacitors for subwoffers? I have a huge zener diode here 

Build that tiny voltage supply & use the huge subwoofer cap on the output supply.  It's what i've been going with something.

Sure about that? A multimeter won't necessarily tell you if it's dropped a winding and will still read 13-14v, but the AC fluctuations can mess with switchmode supplies like the powerpack for the camera

Turning on the headlights will drop the peak voltage, leveling it out with the battery float voltage and stop the powerpack freaking out as much. A capacitor will only mask the issue.

Do the cameras still freak out with the engine off?

Another issue could be poor ignition coil earth or faulty coils. This causes a massive spike back through the 12V that can cause all sorts of haywire behaviour. Falcons for example are great for this and it trips out all the vehicle control systems. Honda's induce a spike into the crank angle circuit and causes the ecu to lose crank sync and ends up firing the wrong coil. Something like this could also freak the camera out.

13 hours ago, Yowzer said:

Sure about that? A multimeter won't necessarily tell you if it's dropped a winding and will still read 13-14v, but the AC fluctuations can mess with switchmode supplies like the powerpack for the camera

Turning on the headlights will drop the peak voltage, leveling it out with the battery float voltage and stop the powerpack freaking out as much. A capacitor will only mask the issue.

That might be something to look at