Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had to replace a frost plug that is only two years old and under 3000 miles because it had rotted out and of course it was between the gearbox and engine.

Can someone educate me on why this may have happened? Engine was rebuilt at the time but for some reason I cannot recall now this particular plug wasn't a brass one, maybe availability of that size at the time but I imagine it still shouldn't rot that quick.  

Coolant was excellent and the owner said he had never topped it up, radiator was recored and engine was stripped and cleaned although I had to use old water pump as none were available, everywhere I can see in the system is still clean. No chance of mixing A/F as I buy it per car, an expensive way of doing it but it avoids possible mixing/wrong coolant added.It is a HC Viva.

Luckily the leak started the day it needed a WOF because it is vintage car club car and were it to drop one on a rally I quickly get a bad name.

Next service I think I'll smash out an easier to remove one just to check how its looking, can't think of anything else I can do.

Electrolysis - brass plug should fix that.

Cavitation - a cavity behind the plug creating air bubbles, is the plug in deep enough? 

Coolant mix (but I doubt it) - no more than 50/50 mix, 30-40% antifreeze is best. Too much af to water can be acidic.

• Like 3

I have a cheapish UniT clip on multimeter, which also does dc down to ~3mA. Holy shit this makes finding current leaks easy.

Neighbour was getting a soggy battery. instead of all that undoing and inline metering with the other multimeter terminals, it was just:

• set to DC 2A scale
  • hold near wire(s) to reset/calibrate for the moon's magnetic field
  • clip around wires(s). 105mA

5 minutes to check all the wires on a 24V system.

--wrong link--

Added advantage, you don't then forget to put your probes back in the usual meter terminals, to it doesn't blow up the next time you measure a battery /mains.

• Like 5

On 07/08/2019 at 10:41, h4nd said:

I have a cheapish UniT clip on multimeter, which also does dc down to ~3mA. Holy shit this makes finding current leaks easy.

Neighbour was getting a soggy battery. instead of all that undoing and inline metering with the other multimeter terminals, it was just:

• set to DC 2A scale
  • hold near wire(s) to reset/calibrate for the moon's magnetic field
  • clip around wires(s). 105mA

5 minutes to check all the wires on a 24V system.

$35 https://www.banggood.com/UNI-T-UT202A-Handheld-Digital-LCD-DC-AC-Voltage-Current-Ohm-Tester-Clamp-Meter-Multimeter-p-1042321.html

Added advantage, you don't then forget to put your probes back in the usual meter terminals, to it doesn't blow up the next time you measure a battery /mains.

The one you linked is AC current only.

I also have the DC one, it's an awesome little toy. (UT210E)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32956426086.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3fe74c4du2XSnc

Except that listing only cost me $49 at the time.

Only thing that you need to be careful of with the DC measurements is that the Earth's magnetic field/anything steel will interfere with the reading if you move it after you hit the zero button.

• Like 2

Dissolve rust/iron in vinegar? The acetic acid shouldn't be able to get through the aluminium oxide skin (test on something equiv to check first!). I've seen a vid where a guy was doing this to free broken studs from an alloy block, just can't find the link at the mo sorry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetic_acid#Reactions_with_inorganic_compounds

• Like 1

hey guys I have a couple of 2 wire DC motors I want to get plugs for, so they can be removed easily. I have tried bullet connectors but they just arent up to the task, and this isnt being fitted into a car so not really suitable. Whats the next step up in plugs, something screw together? Its for 24V 15A