Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wondering if anyone can give me some ideas, my GS450 recently shat the bed and fried the reg/rec. it drained the battery, would push start ok for a bit then wouldn’t push start at all. The coil runs off the battery so once battery was dead flat nothing it wouldn’t run at all.  

Replaced the regulator today with a similar model, off a GSX400E Of the same vintage. Same colour connections etc. after fully charging the battery, I started bike up and it blew the main fuse after a few seconds. Lights and ancillaries don’t seem to blow it just when the bike is starting/running. 

Any ideas on why it might be blowing the fuse? Have checked all the immediate earths and everything is secure

14 minutes ago, kicker said:

What is the state of the alternator and battery since the reg/rec shit itself? One of the three failing can cause the others to fail also.

battery was drained and i charged it back up, reading healthy voltage. also sounded fine when it cranked today so i think its doing its job. 

think stator could potentially be chooched eh, i will run a multimeter over this new reg/rec tomorrow to confirm its still ok, and then probably check the stator. its weird that a stator would blow the fuse instantly tho, could it be shorting out?

U660e transmission. Do these have any issues?

My flatmate has a car with one that has 511,000 km on it and wants to give it a service. Does it have a filter that needs doing too, or just a case of dump the old fluid at 40C, and fill it up with new stuff and get it to just dripping out the overflow tube at idle/40C?

Car currently works perfectly but has unknown servicing history

That video is mostly correct (i install the 24mm before starting, and level it down to a fine trickle, less coming out than on the video before installing drain plug). Have serviced a few of those, just make sure you check the trans temp via obd2. At work we would do a basic flush by filling and draining a couple of times, running it through the gears between drops before doing the final fill and using the overflow tube to level it.

Not sure about filter, have never had to do one.

• Like 1

Good advice above.

There is a filter. It should be a steel mesh type that can be cleaned. Not usually changed for a Toyota Trans Service, but we don’t see a lot of them over 500k. It probably is worth taking the pan off and giving it a clean up. Make sure you use the correct fluid. Recently there has been a shortage of Toyota Genuine WS atf and we have been told to use Dexron VI.

• Like 1

Thanks guys

Another question about the same car (2009 Aurion), have you ever encountered the heater only working on the passenger side? Always blows cold on drivers side (face, foot, defog)

I guess it is the air mix servo motor that is buggered?

2012 Transit custom, a few niggles such as trip meter resetting each day. Radio stopped working last week so I did some digging. It runs dual batteries and I've found that one runs accessories and the other is starter battery. Both are joined while starting, so using both. 

Finally got around to removing drivers seat to get to them. One is on 8-9v, so that solves that question. However, for now I have just swapped them around. Radio working again as accessories now running off the good battery.

Can anyone see an issue with just rolling like this for now? Will do my homework on battery replacement. But my theory is that it will run fine as it's only during starting the now did battery is used. I just want some sounds till I get new batteries.

Lost radio a couple of weeks ago. It has a stupidly overbuilt starter, will having less start up power do any damage to said starter?

26 minutes ago, tortron said:

How cold is it in your shed, might need to warm it up a little to account for shrinkage.

Chinese sourced box section? Try some NZ made. Ironmaiden claims to have better stock

Is that a steel shop? i cannot find it, I went to steel cuts witch has fuck all thees days.

all the box is horrible, big daggy welds and the sides are concave corners are too rounded and the size is way off.