Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers guys.

Looks like I'll get my arse into gear and make a set to suit a low car, and not be smooth on the bottom so they don't slip out. 

There were a few reviews on the supercheap and repco ones saying they slip out.

Thanks again.

11 hours ago, kicker said:

Is it the design? I've never had trouble with mine

They're very steep. I believe you can get extensions to make the angle less, which might help. You can also get grippy things that attach to the bottom of the front edge, but I tried a few things to stop them sliding and have only ever managed to drive a car up them once without them scooting along the garage floor. Polished concrete floors dont help either.

What I have done with my ramps before is jack the car up and drop it onto the ramps. Easier than stands, and you can drive off them afterwards.

Bugger using bits of firewood though lol. When you said "wood as ramps" I thought you meant planks of wood laid on top of each other. Bits of cut up pallet is mint for that (and awesome for getting jacks under low cars for free)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to re-use some expensive gear oil with less than 100KM on it.  Was full of glitter.

Tried running it through a funnel on top of a pipe filled with rope.  No luck.
Cut the top off an oil filter and put it in a funnel with a magnet on the bottom, that caught the big chunks but there's fine bronze glitter oozing through the filter. (repco brand)

Aside from tell me that engine oil filters aren't that picky & let through some stuff i wouldn't want in my engine, what else should i strain the oil through?
Doesn't seem to wick uphill and back down into a container through a rope.  Appears too thick for that.

On 18/06/2019 at 21:04, RUNAMUCK said:

Paint filters must be much bigger holes no? 
Because paint is much thicker than coffee. My recolection was it was a vert slow process getting used motor oil to pass through one. 

Haha paint once thinned and ready to pour into your spray gun is not that thick. Well not with my thinning ratio. 

Ok so for years i've been wondering why tractor pullers take so long to build rpm and boost, and only just thought to google it.

Sorry if this is really obvious to you guys, but this blew my mind.

The diesel pullers run a low compression engine..   Engine compression heats the  air hot enough to ignite the injected diesel fuel.   With the lower compression, diesel fuel has trouble igniting in the cylinder. This is why you see many of the diesel puller engine start with LOTS of ether assist.                        To build heat in the cylinder the puller will very slowly advance the throttle to speed the engine.  If he pushes the throttle too quickly the additional fuel will cool the cylinder enough that the engine will die.   As he advances the throttle he will load the engine by slipping the clutch.  As the engine takes more load, the turbo, or turbos will start to build manifold pressure.  As the manifold pressure increases the cylinder pressure rises allowing more fuel to burn.  The more fuel that burns, the faster the turbo spins,  the faster the turbo spins the more fuel.  (you get the picture)   As HP and RPM build the engine will finally be making maximum horsepower and the clutch can be released.  And the pull is ON.. 

P.S.   The low compression is so the turbo can pack more air into the cylinder without blowing a head gasket or worse. 

How amazing is that, it's squirting in so much fuel that it can put out the fire.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, UTERUS said:

Ok so for years i've been wondering why tractor pullers take so long to build rpm and boost, and only just thought to google it.

Sorry if this is really obvious to you guys, but this blew my mind.

The diesel pullers run a low compression engine..   Engine compression heats the  air hot enough to ignite the injected diesel fuel.   With the lower compression, diesel fuel has trouble igniting in the cylinder. This is why you see many of the diesel puller engine start with LOTS of ether assist.                        To build heat in the cylinder the puller will very slowly advance the throttle to speed the engine.  If he pushes the throttle too quickly the additional fuel will cool the cylinder enough that the engine will die.   As he advances the throttle he will load the engine by slipping the clutch.  As the engine takes more load, the turbo, or turbos will start to build manifold pressure.  As the manifold pressure increases the cylinder pressure rises allowing more fuel to burn.  The more fuel that burns, the faster the turbo spins,  the faster the turbo spins the more fuel.  (you get the picture)   As HP and RPM build the engine will finally be making maximum horsepower and the clutch can be released.  And the pull is ON.. 

P.S.   The low compression is so the turbo can pack more air into the cylinder without blowing a head gasket or worse. 

How amazing is that, it's squirting in so much fuel that it can put out the fire.

Cool story bro, but you missed the best bit.

• Like 3