Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

6 hours ago, kws said:

I need to test the fuel pressure on my BMW to see if the FPR is working properly, but getting to the fuel hoses at the rail is a real pain. Is there anything stopping me from testing the fuel pressure down at the fuel filter under the car?

What age engine? Anything after M52 had a schraeder valve on the fuel rail

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Slow and reeeeeally slow?

The ones in my mitsi are always way too fast. had to add a reostat to get them to move at a reasonable speed

6 minutes ago, Yowzer said:

My sister's triumph had rain sensing wipers. 

When it rained, they stopped working.

The ones in my black minor need to have the screen lubricated to move

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, kws said:

No schraeder valve sadly, just lines tucked up under harness on firewall. Would've made life easier. 

S50b30 engine. 

Testing after the fuel filter should give an approximation of rail pressure. Depends if you have any restrictions in the hose between the two though.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, h4nd said:

@Ned @Roman and ??

Topward bench dual 30V 3A PSU, but too far away / heavy for me. https://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=2164746738

Anyone know if these do a big current spike before the limiting kicks in? (I have MCH-K305D which puts out full current (6A) for a moment and so will trash a zener / LED before properly limiting).

I have a couple nice supplies here already. Next one will be a high current one (like 30A) i think... China has some affordable ones...

But you sure it's not the output cap doing that? They all have an output cap thats fully charged, so if you have it set to 5V 0.01A to connect an LED and current limit it to 0.01A, you still have a fully charged output cap at 5V that will smoke the LED... Dont think theres anything to do about that?
I blew up a fancy LED in a reps display box that way :P he wasnt happy hahaha

Can anyone recommend me some car ramps? 

I'm sick of jacking up cars to do an oil change.  I was going to build my own at some stage but energy and time haven't allowed for quite a while now.

Supercheap has a set half price at the moment, anyone have experience with those ones?

Cheers.

Better off jacking it up TBH. My ramps (supercheap ones) were a complete waste of money. As mentioned, they have a tendency to shoot out from under the car as you drive up them, so i never use them now. 

• Thanks 1