Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, ajg193 said:

Slam trailers like that are what will end up causing trailers to require certification.

But we all secretly love them. 

I may as well try put the final nail in the coffin so I can be the one who ruined it for everyone.

In all seriousness though it'll have suspension and all the required bits n pieces to be safe and legal so I don't actually see the problem.

Plus a low car towing a high trailer just looks stupid.  Nobody wants to be that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, a.craw4d said:

But we all secretly love them. 

I may as well try put the final nail in the coffin so I can be the one who ruined it for everyone.

In all seriousness though it'll have suspension and all the required bits n pieces to be safe and legal so I don't actually see the problem.

Plus a low car towing a high trailer just looks stupid.  Nobody wants to be that.

Pretty sure most of those who built them don't really use them...........   @KKtrips?

no minimum ground clearance requirement for trailers.- provided scratchbuilt- pretty sure modifying existing trailer needs cert

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/resources/factsheets/13d/docs/13d-trailers-light-simple.pdf

Mine sits at around 40mm off the ground when behind my daily, have used it to tow motorcycles all over the country. Tows well. Only time it touches the ground is driveways/speed bumps.

that being said, I built it with no suspension and have since decided that I want suspension / it more purposeful for towing bikes so will be building V2 when it’s free.

I don't see much point in an axle running over the top so it can't be loaded with stuff in the middle.
I've seen trailers with those flexi arm rubber square duratorque things.  They have a pricetag though and i don't think they are adjustable.

Best i've seen was a trailer with airbags.  It was for loading things but, you know...

• Like 1

On 14/04/2019 at 20:24, RUNAMUCK said:

I'm not a fan of duratorques. 
only place they should be used is on supercharger tensioners.

Duratorques are leeegit 

they are a key component in my wash-the-boat-once-a-year program 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a press brake the other day. Have spent the morning freeing it up. It's mostly complete apart from the linkages between the kick lever and press, and return springs.

Any ideas? 

From playing around with some lengths of steel I have, I feel the plate with the 3 holes should have a slotted vertical upright, and the middle tab is what joins to the press to provide clamping force (because bigger arc). The further most tab is probably where the springs attach and join the small tabs on the base part of the brake.

The two flat bars where the kick pivot is mounted has me confused though as I can't figure out the top holes purpose. Possibly it has none and was just an available piece ?

15561507421847562072742766995773.jpg