Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

JWL. Is that the little symbol I always thought was a funny M?

Anyone clued up on wheels and tire fitting in general? @spiderwebfx?   @MACKAZ?

The tire guy thought by the looks of the wheel on the back indicated the tire should be removed from the back. Wasn't the case but he said they were a weird set up.

Edited by a.craw4d

42 minutes ago, kws said:

Looks like it has the JWL standard marking? usually means its a JDM-YO wheel. Probably doesnt help, but nothing else to go on with my minimal knowledge.

It's doesn't have to be a Japanese wheel to have passed or have the Japanese standard cast into it. 

• Thanks 1

Don't have a pic of the back side but it has like a 2 inch parallel dish then steps up.  Something to do with that.

Had to take them to a second place to get the tires removed as the first guy said about the backwards wheel and his machine couldn't grip it.  Second place had the same machine and did the job fine in front of me but they also said they thought is was a backwards wheel going by the profile on the back.

I'll go get a pic soon once the kids are in bed.

Here's the arse view.

IMG_20181215_205615.thumb.jpg.2a524e22a0a9c97200cb2716ec5845d9.jpg

From this side both tire guys thought they were rear mount wheels. They however weren't rear mount and tires were removed from the front.

This is all new territory for me as I just thought wheels were wheels and there was no front or back in regards to mounting a tire.

• Like 1

Tyres should be fitted from the front side of that rim.  It's typical of a cheaper wheel to have the well so far from the face, but obviously it's deeper at that end to cater for it.  (Not saying it is a cheap wheel, but the likes of Advanti do this on almost all their rims.

JWL used to mean something, (it still does in most cases) but then Chinese copies happened, and now they seem to be on almost every wheel anyway.

In terms of quality, I wouldn't say that rim is chinese.  If you like at the back in the centre, it's formed around the stud holes.  All chinese stuff I've seen has a round mounting face as it's cheaper and easier to do.  I'd be looking at what @kyteler said and it's possibly from Performance Wheels Australia

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 15/12/2018 at 16:17, kyteler said:

Given the "PERFORMANCE" in the casting they could well be an old discontinued model from Performance Alloy Wheels in Australia. 

100% aussie performance wheel - my wagon came with exactly the same wheels. 

fk5qjc.jpg

• Like 2

Anyone here removed/replaced a ring gear on a flexplate before?

Mines got fucked teeth, I bought a replacement that's not quite right for the trans, wondering about heating/ flipping the original ring round to the 'fresh' side. Next option is repair shop, but too impatient to wait till next year etc