Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, 00quattro00 said:

You could turbo the 3b

How hard would that be? Worth turbocharging the 3B or better off just swapping the engine? I've never played with this sort of thing before. I'm really not looking for a project, just something that I can drive, maintain and enjoy but it'd be nice to have the option there if it does become too punishing. 

• Haha 1

swapping to a different Toyota diesel would probably be better than turboing the 3b. but in either case it would be a project if you have not done that exact swap before, or have someone on hand who has. better just taking a chill pill and leaving well alone although chilling out and driving sedately is usually a difficult thing for card carrying gun swinging fleece wearing hunter types around here

• Like 3

I'm sure that plenty of swaps have been done before but the levels of cbf are high. Been trying to cut complications out of my life recently so the less projects to worry about the better at this stage*. I drive like a nana 99% of the time these days so will just roll as is I think. May be slow but haven't found too much that seems to go wrong with them.

*Googles 1HD swap

• Like 2

9 hours ago, chasinthemirage said:

I have a bj71 with a 13bt. the one you are looking at rust out around the windscreen frame, I paid $4500 for mine in fairly good condition 8 months or so ago. mine has been addictive to spend money on though and parts are not cheap. if you do buy one go nuts on the fish oil etc inside the body, the handling is terrible if raised, and the brakes are shithouse at best.

so yeah buy it.

• Like 3

Yeah the brakes did suck, it was a lot more truck like than my brothers Surf or dads Hilux. So cool though. 

@Mof I thought the asking price was fairly reasonable but maybe not? Toyota's in general seem fairly spendy, there's a tidy  LN106 for 9.5k that's been recently recomplied  but I like the idea of having a wagon for secure storage etc.

So much pine for an early Landy, dad froffs them too which doesn't help.

I've looked at Safaris too but the rust puts me off a bit. They seem to be a bit worse than the Toyota's? Although realistically any Toyota I purchase will have some rust somewhere.

No real reason for wanting fixed beam honestly, it seems a bit simpler and sturdier but I know that realistically IFS will perform just as well if not better than fixed beam (for what I want to do anyway) and also offer better handling and comfort.

They do drive on the road much better, if you're not planning serious club type offroading a beam isn't necessary. 

Plus newer vehicle, less rust

8 hours ago, chasinthemirage said:

cut complications

We had a few gen 2s in the club and they did just fine

9 hours ago, Mof said:

They do drive on the road much better, if you're not planning serious club type offroading a beam isn't necessary. 

Plus newer vehicle, less rust

We had a few gen 2s in the club and they did just fine

The majority of what I'll be doing is likely to just be muddy tracks and river crossings etc but I am quite keen to get into some more technical driving at some point. I've googled a few clubs but I don't really know who's who when it comes to clubs.

I must admit that there's also a fair amount of manufacturer bias here, I really like Toyotas and to some extent Nissans so they are all that I've seriously considered. Interesting re the Bighorn, I've always disliked them for some reason. Might have to broaden my search a little!

I had the misfortune to drive a colleague's automatic Bighorn from somewhere north of Bulls to Tauranga one night. It was a truly horrid car. The automatic kept changing gears at inappropriate times. Being raised a bit on huge mud tyres probably didn't help in that respect. 

• Like 1

The landrover club allows Landcruisers, otherwise I guess they'd never complete a trip.

Didn't think there'd be any decent Bighorns left but I had a Mu in from Turners the other day that was obviously maintained very well and was mint other than leaking injector pump, could be a bargain to be negotiated there.  Petrol Prados are also very cheap (except at the pump I guess) the diesel stuff from any brand holds value, you can't replace them.

• Like 1