Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

I adjusted them both perfectly last time, so im hoping there will be something obvious going on when i take the drum off. I have also heard of the brake hoses internally swelling, so i have a pair of them on the way. I think the inspector may have been a bit more understanding if it had done more than 10% of the work lol.

Gravel/quiet road could be the go....

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A good trick is to adjust the shoes , then pump brake pedal and adjust all over again to centralise the shoe.

The smaller the drum generally the smaller the notches on the adjuster , so a couple of clicks out can mean heaps of imbalance.

Standing the glazing off the drum with emery tape by hand can also help bed the new shoes. 

• Like 1

The Mini adjuster doesnt have clicks as such, its a threaded screw with a squared off head. Bit of a shit to adjust, but i did it as per this video and afterwards the handbrake worked mint (didnt work beforehand and the adjustment was way out) which is usually a good indicator the brakes are adjusted well

The end result was seized wheel cylinders anyway, so hopefully should be pretty obvious when its all working again. The Mini adjustment system is very reliable, the only issue as you mention is it cant self adjust.

• Like 1

I know there are some Toyota guys here so I have a modern car question,  How do you get the correct fluid level in a 2015 Aurion transmission?

Have drained fluid and removed pan to replace filter, refilled until it pours passed the drain tube which equalled about 1 litre of fluid which is obviously not enough so checked it at operating temp and added about another 1/2 litre. Have now added the whole 4 litre pack of Toyota fluid 500mls at a time until the transmission "feels" right but I have to go over the alps a couple of times at the weekend and even when new the transmission would have decision issues after the decent. Only a month left on warranty so I don't want to cook it.

The drain has a plastic tube inside it. You can remove it with a Allen key and drain some more. The top of this tube is the correct level with the trans in park and engine idling and the atf at 45 degrees C.

We just put in the same amount that came out.

Make sure you use the correct Toyota fluid. Should be WS, but the fill bung will confirm.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ajg193 said:

apparently it is pretty much impossible to replace the oil on vw gearboxes without pulling them apart? When your box needs a service/repairs they just send it off and get a replacement.

Where do you get this information from?

• Like 2