Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Diesel run away. .....

So I had my diesel in my hilux start running away from me this evening while going down a decent hill. 

I wasn't able to pull off the road till I got to the bottom.  However at this point the engine stopped running and I assumed it had demo'd its self.  The trail of smoke Dow the Road was epic. A cop also happened to be behind me at the time lol but thankfully he understood when I said the motor is now dead. 

So once he felt I was very surprised to find it still had some oil in it and it still ran once I primed the fuel system again.  First thing I had done while going down the hill was turn the key off to cut the fuel. 

Was one hell of an experience. 

Anyway question.  Can anyone think why it would manage to stop once on flat land?  Its a none turbo.  Unfortunately was all caused by blow by I would say.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Option A: rings are chooched and pumping plenty of blowby into the intake under deceleration

Option B: (if it's one of the versions with a throttle plate, which I'm guessing it isn't) rings are chooched and pulling in oil directly under deccel.

Option C: Add a turbo to make use of the extra fuel

• Like 1

Yeah I know why it started running away lol. Bit gutted im now going to be pulling the motor down for a cheeky ring and head over haul. 

Its a Toyota L. So the 2.2. No throttle plate etc.

Had noticed it had been getting a little smokey recently and been making an odd chuffing noise. 

Im more gutted as I was actually about to chuck it up on here for sale.  Ah well.  

6 minutes ago, Roman said:

Not sure but just keep in mind that it can only go from about 8:1 to 22:1 so might not work at the sensitivity you need.

And keep in mind it heats the sensor tip to 850 deg which sounds not fun if its potentially explosive 

A lambda value of 1 (14.7:1 AFR with petrol) is theoretically oxygen content of 0 %.

The atmosphere will be argon (inert) and will be venting past the oxygen sensor.

The application is a furnace for casting magnesium. The existing oxygen sensor (over 10 years old, custom made) died and a replacement unit would be over $7,000. We're thinking we could replace the setup with a 4.9.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

theyre cheap enough now its almost worth just trying to see how it goes. some things can stuff with the sensor though, like leaded fuel shortens their life probably because some things coat something on the sensor so if theres some other off gasses or particles in the vent line it might not last long. do you know what type of sensor the old expensive one was?

We bought an innovate LC2 + 4.9 sensor (had to change the output range using supplied programmer software) and I made up an LCD display using a Nano (convert lambda to %O2) and put it in a nice box. Tested it out using argon from the tig welder and it went straight down to 0.0% O2 (reading 20.9% in free air), so it looks like it will work. Assembled it onto the furnace so it should be ready for testing on Monday assuming the instrument grade argon arrives.

Also, don't have sensitive electronics like arduinos near (older?) tig machines when running, it corrupts the memory instantly.

If it works that means a saving of about $9k

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2