• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, 00quattro00 said:

Wat?

Where do people get these ideas from?

internet old wives tales?

Whats that thing, it takes 10 times more energy to disprove something stupid than it is to say something stupid, or something like that. Thats why all this fake news stuff is taking over the world.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ajg193 said:

Apparently 5 cyl engines are practically impossible to get running properly with carbs

Also, when I had my CGT, some genius had played around with the K-Jet setup so it ran like a bag of dicks - I persevered and got it back to a healthy state, but I did a bit of research into converting it to carb and Holley had a carb+manifold available as a kit at the time, maybe 2009/10.

On 07/09/2018 at 15:53, peteretep said:

internet old wives tales?

Whats that thing, it takes 10 times more energy to disprove something stupid than it is to say something stupid, or something like that. Thats why all this fake news stuff is taking over the world.

not bad, 10 posts later and here we are. myth busted

• Like 5

Hey have put larger tyres on my old land cruiser and the speedo is out by 12-14%, Im guessing it needs to be close to accurate for cert, have looked into mechanical correction boxes but can't justify $265au + postage\tax. Have found you can buy the gears from toyota new, so I'm thinking I will just buy the correct one. My speedo gear thing that goes into the gearbox is marked 6-18 (6 tooth in the gearbox and 18 on the one that you can pull out) you can't change the inside gear from 6 so if i change the 18 tooth gear to say a 17 or 16 does anyone know what one would help correct my speedo, long winded explanation but i can't figure it out. cheers

speedo2.jpg

Wait for someone that has more experience with getting their speedo calibrated. But unless i'm mistaken, you'd need to increase the tooth count above 18 to get it reading correct. The drive is going to be spinning slower due to bigger tyres, so for each turn it will need to turn the next cog faster to make up for that. Makes sense in my head... but maybe not, Sunday brain.

i think it does need a bigger driven gear thinking about it now, from the minimal internet searching apparently i don't have to change the gearbox gear, doesn't work in my thought process either. might just buy a 20 tooth and give it a go, if its tight going in it probably won't be right.

Check with robinson instruments in auckland. An inline gearbox from them might not be that expensive. 

As for the meshing, most of the nissan boxes can have a bunch of different plastic speedo gears all running off the same gearbox gear.

• Like 3