Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do or can efi engines flood?

Our altezza sometimes can be a bitch to start if you get it wrong the first time. If you accidentally release the key just before it starts ( and I mean split second before it bursts into life), it then takes a lot of cranking and spluttering before it'll start again. Before I got a decent battery it would run out of start juice first. 

I know this sounds a bit retarded but when you're so used to a car you sometimes release the key when you know it would've normally started, being distracted by kids and running on auto pilot doesn't help.

Anyway this morning it happened to the misses in her demio, she took the other car and I tried it about half an hour later. It took a lot of cranking but eventually came back to life. Has since restarted fine each time.

Anyone had this happen to them before?   Any suggestions?   Would cleaning or replacing plugs help?

Cheers people.

Foot to the floor should definitely put it in the flood clear mode.

EFI cars dump in extra fuel on cranking/startup and if you give up just before it starts it will increase the risk of flooding.

Jane's grandma bought a new car a few years ago (brand new Jazz) and just moved it in and out of the garage when she needed to get stuff out and it ended up flooding and wouldn't start again.

• Like 1

I have a central locking solenoid that I am trying to figure out the wiring on.
It has 5 wire going into it, black, yellow, blue, blue and yellow, blue and white.

The blue wires trigger the solenoid, blue is the 12V feed, earthing through blue and yellow or blue and white will make the solenoid go up/down.

What the fuck are the black and yellow wires for? Any ideas?

Bear with me, I'm not too familiar with them plus I'm missing all of the electrical wizardry in the middle so I'm not even sure of what I'm missing :)

So all the solenoids have these black and yellow wires, if I can trigger the solenoids with the blue wires are the others to stop unnecessary actuation if the lock is already in the desired state?