Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

3 hours ago, mjrstar said:

I'm with him on that, on a road car I would go an OEM brembo 4 pot off something else rather than a wilwood caliper. If there was no suitable 4 pot then an OEM sliding caliper would be option 2. I have 6 cars in the shed with diy brake upgrades now.

The modelling, testing and level of quality of pretty much any oem car part far exceeds pretty much anything aftermarket. (Big generalisation I know)

If wilwood was genuinely an awesome caliper they would be popping up on oem performance cars.

So when the latest focus RS of golf R comes with Wilwoods I will change my mind.

I agree with your point on oem stuff being generally better designed,

But would probably struggle to find a brembo or similar 4 pot to fit under 14" wheels.

I was going to use hilux 4 pots on my car but by the time I rebuild them and do the mods to get them to fit it's probably similar money to buy some new wilwood calipers and make a bracket

Plus they don't weigh anywhere near as much.

I'd be interested to hear why wilwood are shit?

Not starting drama, im interested in others experience with them.

I've never seen any faults with them like breakages or leaks etc, although some brake kits that use them come with crap pads to keep the price down. I know they don't have dust boots on the pistons but I've never heard of any issues with that

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know about the boots when I ordered mine, I asked somewhere (I forget where) and the idea was that it was only needed for unusually dusty environments, like australia or something

Anyway my wilwoods have been on my car for 5 years and havent had any issues with them. 

Wilwoods are much better than they were a decade ago, I didn't actually say the were shit,  and some people do get an ok run out of them.

They were notorious in years gone by for warping the bodies and causing jamming pistons and premature seal failure etc..no doubt the majority of these problems are under control.

Are Jeep using them as an OEM part these days? I thought the SRT8 and the likes were on Brembo, admittedly I don't follow Jeep though.

My point is if I had two calipers side by side to use on a daily car that i would like 100,000k+ of trouble free motoring and one was a good used brembo, and the other was a brand new willwood I know which one I would use.

Horses for courses though I guess.

• Like 1

Guess I better quantify...

I had issues with wilwood gear that came from insufficient tolerance and lack of suitable dust seals, this lead to uneven wear and seizing of pistons.

This issue was made worse by soft Al castings that seemed to rely on the anodising to provide a wear surface, the moment that thin layer wore through, it was game over.

We switched to a higher spec brand and all the issues were gone, however the environment the components were in was a little more demanding than a road car.

I'll also add the importer we dealt with was a GC and worked with us to find the issues, really I guess we were using kit that wasn't suitable for the application, but the marketing hype was such that I was left to chase a bad lead for too long that it soured my opinion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjrstar said:

Are Jeep using them as an OEM part these days? I thought the SRT8 and the likes were on Brembo, admittedly I don't follow Jeep though.

i'm sure it was Jeep that the stock car guys referenced as OEM for stock-car use... not that i own a stock-car

1 hour ago, SOHC said:

How do I get the rear disks off an 05 Nissan Presarge? they have the handbrake drum incorporated into them , they have no jacking holes 

Release the hand brake and back the adjuster off. With a ball peon hammer tap the outside around in a circle with enough force to shock it but not do damage. you need to shock it in a circular motion to loose the corrosion. have a helper pull on the disc.  

• Like 1

On 8/18/2018 at 10:26, tortron said:

Has anyone used Tora brand brake components? Specifically replacement calipers.

I can find and rebuild an OEM set from a wrecker but the ease of a new set showing up on my doorstep is tempting

think thats the brand i've got on the hilux.  seem fine for the price. cheaper than fixing the stock ones

• Like 1