Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blegh, bugger that. At least the Mini had an actual cooling system filling point, google is useless with the Megane. Just said to fill the expansion tank. Maybe see if anything comes out of the bleed points?

11 minutes ago, kws said:

Blegh, bugger that. At least the Mini had an actual cooling system filling point, google is useless with the Megane. Just said to fill the expansion tank. Maybe see if anything comes out of the bleed points?

yeah I will check out the bleed points, I'm not used to this style of cooling system so didn't even think about these

14 hours ago, peteretep said:

yeah I will check out the bleed points, I'm not used to this style of cooling system so didn't even think about these

Sounds like there's a few bleed screws in the system. There might be some useful info here: https://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12790

Also: https://www.renaultsport.co.uk/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=83743

• Like 1

I had a look and there aren't any bleed points, the expansion tank is the highest point. After looking at the setup though, I have a feeling I didn't tighten the cap on the expansion tank properly though. I thought it was an overflow tank so stopped tightening once the cap got slightly tight, but there is actually an O-ring on the cap which looks like it holds pressure, so I have now tightened the cap properly and we will see what happens. I let the car sit until it heated up and the radiator fan turned on at the right point and didn't get hot at all. So looks all good at this point

• Like 1

AE70 - drum rear, disc front.

Negatives to upgrading only the front brakes to bigger discs / better calipers and leaving drums on rear. Assuming piston sizes don't negatively impact on pedal feel. How will the braking of the vehicle be affected? Will things go pear-shaped balance wise due to the much better braking performance up front compared to factory? Suspension will be upgraded, tyres will be appropriate, with zero power increase. Just wanting increased braking performance.

Negative? You'll need a cert.

Positive? Potentially better stopping when you're thrashing it.

If you just put some better pads in it you will get plenty good stopping (easily lock the wheels if you want to), you'll still run into issues with fade when you're thrashing it though. No cert that way.

Or you could go to smaller diameter wheels, that would increase the brake force.

Not concerned about cert, will need a cert to get it as jacked low as i'd like. So figure I may as well upgrade the brakes rather than spend all the coin overhauling / buying all new stock stuff. I'll need to deliever Tofu to Barry's Bay, so brake fade is something i'd like to eliminate at the same time.

Probably a bolt on kit. Just looking at my options and doing some homework. It seems that you can mix and match Toyota bits, most of which is now spendy and unicorn spec. Until I inspect the parts, I don't know sizing and whether the kit will bolt up or not. Just thought i'd ask so I know what to expect when the time comes.

Example kit:

IMG_0390.jpg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Bling said:

Probably a bolt on kit. Just looking at my options and doing some homework. It seems that you can mix and match Toyota bits, most of which is now spendy and unicorn spec. Until I inspect the parts, I don't know sizing and whether the kit will bolt up or not. Just thought i'd ask so I know what to expect when the time comes.

unless you are gonna make it boogie a fair bit more than standard, that kit would be over kill ( although i have similar going up front on the rally car).

have you tried decent pads up front ?

can't remember the brand i originally used in the TE71, (some BNT special order), but made a huge difference with fade.

i have some late KE70 discs backing plates and calipers if you want them, as i only wanted the hubs, and a mate bought the struts

Not planning on making it boogie at the moment, but I do enjoy a good hill run. Just looking into options at the moment, but would prefer to spend money on improved brakes rather than putting new stock brakes on that will be average. Granted a new set of rotors and pads will do wonders, they will still get maxed out on the Akaroa run. So thought for the low cost of three times the cost... I could upgrade the brakes and not have to worry about that. Then if I put in something that can pull the skin off a rice pudding, it's already sorted.

Yeah have seen the T3 kit, haven't fully compared costs, but they seem similar. Will be after a kit that fits inside 14's, so will have to keep that in check too.

Yeah i'm just keen on brakes that won't limit my hill driving. Do it right, do it once etc. Cheaper to just replace with stock bits by a mile.

MRP lists 262mm for 14" wheels, will look into those deets closer to the time.

• Like 1