Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

If I were to only have one, it would be Mig, then tig. Mig is just a good all round solution, its not the best for everything, but easy enough to become reasonable at it, and it can weld 90% of stuff. I have a 180a mig, and while i have used it at max settings for welding 5mm to 5mm plate, I mostly use it in the middle/lower settings

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As above, mig for general glueing of all things.

I have a 3 in 1. Worst part is changing bottles to change welding type. 

A couple of fabricators at work run hugong welders from duroweld. They are pretty cheap and have 3 year warranty and have been absolutely flogged with no failures.

• Like 2

I always have the thought in the back of my head that there is more to go wrong with a 3 in 1 unit, in the lower end price range at least. I have a 180A BOC Magmate MIG, does everything I need. The plan was to get a TIG too, but I never really felt the need after getting the MIG. YMMV.

I like the idea of TIG, but realistically MIG would be all I need to glue some BLMC "steel" back together. Now to find a good unit at a good price. Have seen a couple of used MIG come up on FB, but either really old, or there was a Telwin unit on there but the duty cycle was stupidly low, 60% @ 80A, 15% @ 140A. Seems a bit weak compared to other units around.

OS goes through the welder yarn a lot. 

MIG is 100% the way to start out for fucking around on cars it’s easy and cheap to get going. You can start with a cheaper unit if that is your price point, but IMO just jump to around the $1000 mark and you can get a inverter MIG which are super lush to use. Yes you get the extra TIG functionality but most likely you will never be bothered to have two gas bottles to fuck around with it. The actual bonus is how lush these cheap inverter units lay down weld, it’s just better than a sub $1000 traditional setup. Usually you get finer control also.

There is nothing extra to fuck out, there is no extra complexity to add the TIG and ARC functionally it’s just a bonus due to having the inverter deliver the juice. It’s literally a extra plug on the front and the torches will sit in the draw gathering dust while you MIG shit together all day.

• Like 3

Oh and a inverter MIG of a decentish brand will hold its value if you need to get rid of it. The reason they never are for sale second hand is they move fast, usually your friend will want to buy it before you can list it.

Have you got a wiring diagram for how it is currently wired - assuming it's mostly factory still?

On mine the full current from the alternator to (or from) the battery goes through the ammeter (in and out of cabin) with the ignition switch feed teed off on the alternator side of the ammeter. The ammeter could be bypassed in this case by directly connecting the alternator feed to the battery.

I think this is the situation you have - if the alternator output is connected directly to the battery then the ignition switch will only be handling current from anything connected to that, not full alternator current.

What is still live in the dash with the ignition off, and how is it getting power?

Yes, you shouldn't have the main feed between alt and batt going through your ignition switch.

Had a squizz at a factory diagram and it looks similar to my ford system. Main charge cable goes through ammeter, with feed for lights, ignition, fused live, etc teed off between the alt and ammeter.

67ChryslerA.JPG

67ChryslerB.JPG

Dodgy solutions question

I have a 2m length of 10mm thick steel  angle iron

I am trying to dress the lips so that it will sit flat when placed point up on a surface.

(It's going to be the clamping section of my sheet metal folder, needs to be flat and flush with the sheet for a crisp bend)

Right now I have made some v blocks and attached them to an angle grinder, so I can place it in the V and slide it up and down and it will in theory grind both lips to a similar height and angle.

But goddam it's slow going.

Maybe a better/coarser disk?

3 hours ago, tortron said:

Dodgy solutions question

I have a 2m length of 10mm thick steel  angle iron

I am trying to dress the lips so that it will sit flat when placed point up on a surface.

(It's going to be the clamping section of my sheet metal folder, needs to be flat and flush with the sheet for a crisp bend)

Right now I have made some v blocks and attached them to an angle grinder, so I can place it in the V and slide it up and down and it will in theory grind both lips to a similar height and angle.

But goddam it's slow going.

Maybe a better/coarser disk?

Could you just weld the angle to a length of flatbar? So the cross section becomes a triangle rather than an inverted 'v'.

And.... you are building a sheet metal folder 2m wide? Pics!

theres a half a thread on the other projects section

adding some flatbar will be my plan b (still have to dress the front section to be the correct angle, and I want the flat "foot" to be 100mm deep, unfortunately the angle iron is longer on one side so I have to cut it down anyways)

after I posted that I went and got a different disk fo rmy 230mm grinder and its going a lot better. Im going to go ahead and make a proper sled to hold the grinder at the right height (and some v blocks to mount the steel stock to my bench), the set up I tried was alright for proof of concept

Plus, then I can make multiple benders and sell them

• Like 2