Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

How much dose it cost roughley to get a car put on a chassis jig? I am working on a anglia and the panel cert guy wants a certificate saying its not out of wack as it has had some repairs on the nose cone.

How can I reverse the auto starting direction of operation on this motor?

37..jpg

Has three wires coming out of it, capacitor across two of them. I wired it in to an AC cable / put a ground wire onto the housing for safety and it starts and runs fine, but goes clockwise. When disconnecting the cap I can flick it to start it in the other direction and it then runs fine.

Opening it up, all of the winding wires are the same diameter, no switch inside to disconnect any starting winding so I'm fairly confident it is a permanent-split capacitor motor.

Resistances between the three wires are 50, 100, 150 ohm.

EDIT:

Other side of the connector has two orange wires and a blue wire, the capacitor goes between the two orange wires, then one of the orange wires goes to outside world AC, as does the blue wire.

Retard efi question,

On a motor with that new fangled electronic fuel injection, the fuel hose which attaches to the vacuum referenced diaphragm is the return line yeah? (That's probably the fuel reg actually. no?)

I found a flowchart to fix my hopefully nats whip that even a simpleton like me can follow.

18 minutes ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Retard efi question,

On a motor with that new fangled electronic fuel injection, the fuel hose which attaches to the vacuum referenced diaphragm is the return line yeah? (That's probably the fuel reg actually. no?)

I found a flowchart to fix my hopefully nats whip that even a simpleton like me can follow.

That's the normal way of the world.

On 3/7/2018 at 20:16, NickJ said:

mount the motor upside down?

I pulled the stator out of the motor, turned it around and reassembled. Motor now goes backwards. Not sure how much the gearbox will like being run backwards as the gears are helically cut / and bearings are probably only on one side knowing cheap old motors.

• Like 1

From my limited knowledge of AC systems as far as I'm aware if you reverse the polarity of the starting pulse(capacitor) the motor will spin in reverse. Most ac motors will spin in either direction if you remove the capacitor and give it a helping hand to get spinning. Have to do that with the ancient grinder at mums.