Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a new pair of coils to fit to a outboard motor I am fixing and at 1st I thought they were the wrong ones as they had rubber casings with ferrite chokes through the middles.

It turns out thats all just packing, why would coils need ferrite chokes when there sitting on the shelf? they go through the mounting hole witch is the center of the coil.

Just how dodgy is it to run different sized tyres on the same axle? Only a small difference, 205 and 215 with the same profile. I've had to get one new tyre to replace one that had canvas showing. The remaining three are warrantable as is the spare so I want to save the new one and run the four that have about the same amount of tread but the spare is a 215 and the others are all 205s. I figure to take the two matching tyres from the back, which are the best ones, and run them on the front with the two sort of matching ones on the rear. 

41 minutes ago, igor said:

Just how dodgy is it to run different sized tyres on the same axle? Only a small difference, 205 and 215 with the same profile. I've had to get one new tyre to replace one that had canvas showing. The remaining three are warrantable as is the spare so I want to save the new one and run the four that have about the same amount of tread but the spare is a 215 and the others are all 205s. I figure to take the two matching tyres from the back, which are the best ones, and run them on the front with the two sort of matching ones on the rear. 

Short answer is no don't do it. It's not legal and if you run it on the diff it will Ben working the spider gears the whole time and if you have it on the front the steering will be up to shit. Sorry but it's iladvised to run it. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nick Ritchie said:

im buying some jets for my bike carb, Mikuni BS34 

the stock pilot jet has no jets drilled in the sides. the only replacement jets i can find have holes drilled in the side like this

will this make a difference to how it runs or na

are the replacements coming from USA ?

if so, they may be low-emissions spec, and extra holes help lean it out ?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, UTERUS said:

Wat, how is that any different to going around corners. 

I guess you're generally not going around corners all day non stop under power.

But yeah, it would only be a real issue if you have an LSD or 4wd/Awd. Short term you probably wouldn't do too much damage to a standard vehicle. Your brakes would get a bit unbalanced though. 

Thanks guys. Thought it was probably just a bit dodgy. It's my coon. An Aussie assembled S model. Think it does have a slippery judging by way it behaves on loose surfaces and the twin trenches it digs when my daughter dumps the clutch. Good news is that the weird steering vibration it had is gone now even with one new tyre and one barely warrantable one on the front.

3 minutes ago, 00quattro00 said:

So is having a different load rating

Went in for a wof once with a car that had been sitting for 5 years. Failed on one tyre having a bulge in it so I had to get it replaced. Back to VTNZ "Nah mate, load rating is different go back to tyre shop and get them to sort you."

Ended up having to get three tyres that day* :/ One with the same load rating as the one that was on the car would have set me back the price of three chingaling tyres.

* All three tyres were the same brand and size and model, from the same shop. They all had different prices. First one was like $85, second was $70 and last one as $60 (something along the lines of, well I had to come back to you buggers so I want the second one a bit cheaper. Heck if you make the third one even cheaper I'll buy that too).

The car then had three goodrides and a supercat.

/Womble out.

• Like 1