Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't recall it saying anything specific in the HTCM to do with minimum droop but 40mm is probably reasonable. Reality it is a function of vehicle weight to wheel rate/effective spring rate

e.g. super stiff circuit car spring rates might only have 10-30mm of droop and give a skittery teeth rattling ride on the average nz road.

or the other one is if the shocks have been shortened so much to keep super short springs captive that could also limit droop depending on the specific details of the suspension in question.

There's a few options, had to look it up recently trying to figure out what shock length I could use.

LVVTA Low Volume Vehicle Standard 195-00(02) (Suspension Systems) Page 8 of 24 © Low Volume Vehicle Technical Association (Inc.) October 2016

Suspension travel 2.2(3) Suspension travel available within a low volume vehicle must be such that:
(a) no interference is likely to occur between the underside of the body and any drive-shafts or other drive-line components during full suspension movement; and
(b) full suspension compression is unlikely to be reached during normal vehicle operation on smooth road surfaces when fully laden; and
(c) the minimum distance that the suspension extends from static ride height is either: (i) 40 mm; or (ii) one third of the vehicle’s total suspension travel; or (iii) in the case of an unusual vehicle or suspension configuration, a figure that may be determined by the LVV Certifier to be acceptable. NOTE: An unusual vehicle as referred to in 2.2(3)(c)(iii) may be one with an unusually small amount of suspension travel such as a scratch-built Lotus 7 replica.

• Like 1

What's with five cylinder engines in a narrow vee configuration where both banks share the same head? Daughter's boyfriend was talking about a V5 his father had driven once and I thought he'd got himself confused but a little bit of reading confirms that it is actually a thing. I'd come across IL5s before like the 2.5 diesel Landrover but to me a vee configuration with an odd number of cylinders is just plain weird. Thoughts?

Like this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VR6_engine

Well it makes sense for when:

You want more displacement than the NVH etc of a 4 cylinder that big will allow. 

A straight 5 would be good, but then need it to be shorter to fit in the engine bay of a FWD. 

You dont quite need the capacity of a V6 and want to save on the casting of a seperate head. 

It's certainly odd, but I can see how it has its place in the world.

I am going to put together a 105e motor next week, there are a few motors on the floor to get parts from but all of the distributors are worn, someone was telling me you can use a Honda City distributor with a few mods, has anyone any info on this?

also where would I find an oil filter cartridge? 

Yea it's a circa 81 Honda civic or n12 pulsar swapping for a 25d lucas

Mod/remove the clamp plate, swap the drive dogs, then limit the advance

Old mate reckons they work too well so start up before the starter can disengage. So crank the starter a little before turning on the IGN. Idk tho

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tortron said:

Yea it's a circa 81 Honda civic or n12 pulsar swapping for a 25d lucas

Mod/remove the clamp plate, swap the drive dogs, then limit the advance

Old mate reckons they work too well so start up before the starter can disengage. So crank the starter a little before turning on the IGN. Idk tho

Its for a friend, it had a 1600x flow in it but he wants the 105 motor so I can pretty much say he dosnt want the twin carbs, I am putting extractors on it for him tho as there was a set in all his shit.

Cool I will look for one of those distrubtors, witch would be best Nissan or Honda?

2-wire electronic dizzy going in to an originally points distributor suzuki alto..

how to wire up?

as best as i can tell from google mechanic school it's generally one to coil (-) and one to coil (+) but as usual there's all sorts of conflicting info, like pulling the ignition module out and wiring it up to a generic ICM to bypass the need for a computer or some jazz, but that sounds like pulling an ICM out and connecting to an ICM.. wat?

dizzy is from a carby UTV engine of the same type as the alto, suzuki f8B

any help much appreciated.

cheers