Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Firetruck said:

Ignoring all that, it was a legitimate question. I've never used the stuff, I have no idea what it's like. Would you trust it in a combustion chamber?

probably not, its about $10 a rod and if you over heat it with the torch and it turns black the whole lot will go bad 

On 24/01/2018 at 12:44, Carsnz123 said:

Anyone here have experience welding cast aluminium? Was thinking of welding up the combustion chambers of a spare L26 head to bump up the compression. Factory is 8.8:1 and I want 10:1. Skimming it won't yield the results I want. 

See if you can get some 4943 alloy filler rod. Its better than most for alloy heads.

Or get some flat top pistons? 

I think some PVA is water soluble but I have no idea what sort they've used when they built the track. The issue with using anything that vibrates or levers up the track is that it tends to snap the tiny tabs off that hold the track onto the sleeper and once the tab is gone it's stuffed. Only 9mm between the rails to give some idea of the size of the tabs. I'll try some steam/warm water if I get time this weekend.

peco_track2.jpg

• Like 1

Set fire to the set, then pick out the railway iron from the smoldering mess, 3D print 4000 new sleeps and slide them on. Job done.

But in all seriousness, even if you get the track off the deck, you'll probably spend hours tidying up the sleepers. Could always pull the iron out, then remove the sleepers as they should flex upwards, then reassemble by sliding the iron back in.

What guage is it? Was some barry selling some train stuff at ric market the other week, can't recall if there was track too, but he had a box full of rolling stock. OO/HO From memory

• Like 2