Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

Found 2 car batterys in a field, one of them has 2001 scratched into it and the other one is a big one witch is very faded from sun and has terminal clamps on it still but the bolts have nealy rusted off, they both had about 1/2 to 1 volt and they would just trip the switch on the charger, I had to drill holes in one as it was sealed but I put a heaped spoon full of Epson salts in each cell, and hot glued the holes up, they both seem to be charging now.

The battery I did this to about 12 months ago is still going strong, it takes a few cycles for them to come back up to what the CCA would have been,  

• Like 7

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, igor said:

Teaspoon or tablespoon? Got a big old tractor battery here that's as flat as a witch's tit and wouldn't charge even on an OS charger that doesn't have safety trip switches. Sounds like being worth a try

Put a heaped teaspoon in each cell,

if the sides are bulging dont even bother, it will have an internal short. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Only a vague tech query,

But how do I make Google on my phone stop having an annoying as fuck 'straya accent?  I love asking Google shit  verbally ever since I first saw @KKtripsdo it to fact check the trivia on the tui caps that @JoKer had at Nats last year. I'll drive along and ask away, then when I get where I'm going I have something to read.

But that aussie accent gives me the screaming shits. Despite being all knowing, Google is dumb as fuck to think kiwis want an aussie voice. 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2017 at 06:48, igor said:

Teaspoon or tablespoon? Got a big old tractor battery here that's as flat as a witch's tit and wouldn't charge even on an OS charger that doesn't have safety trip switches. Sounds like being worth a try

Some OS battery chargers need some volts to start them going, I've seen people 'jump-start' the charging with another battery. Probably best use a lead with a spike catcher if you want to try it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Timing belt change instructions for 1UZ say to torque the front pulley bolt up to 181ft/lb. My torque wrench only goes up to 154ft/lb. It's probably not very accurate anyway.

Reckon I can get away with setting my wrench to the highest setting then tightening it a bit more, after the click?

On 1/5/2018 at 13:38, h4nd said:

Some OS battery chargers need some volts to start them going, I've seen people 'jump-start' the charging with another battery. Probably best use a lead with a spike catcher if you want to try it.

Yes even y new charger needs that, it will just go into battery fucked mode and click off.

I have some reconditioned battreys if anyone wants them?  cheep or free, I have no use for them, they are worth about $15 as scrap but they seem to be working ok and will get better over time