Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ours were swapped out every couple of months by the Century guy. Probably didnt need to be that frequent.

Our genuine Merc batteries could sit on the shelf for over a year, but they got regularly topped up with a trickle charger.

Can I get hard line in metric sizes for fuel lines?

In my current install in my project I've used common industrial hard line, but the OD is 3/8" or about 9.5mm.

The Nissan fuel piping is just a smidge over 8mm OD. The larger industrial tubing is a bitch to get the rubber line/clamps onto.

Semi-tempted to go to braided fittings - anyone done that?

P1100631.JPG

5/16 seems to be the most common hose measurement between to two.

But, you are talking about 0.06mm between the two.... so.... probably not worth worrying about? 

Pretty sure factory fuel lines are just steel anyway,  just zinc coated. 

Can probably buy a roll of 5/16 nickel based hard line for brakes from bnt also.

• Like 1

Yo, computer Gurus: (is there a better thread for this? let me know)

I'm moving to a new PC, and I want to take my data, settings and apps/programs with me (because I'm fussy, have extensively modified environment, and have a bajillion obscure and engineering software, many of which are a large PitA to install, I'm guessing it'd take me ~a month - 6wks to reinstall my whole system).

Free versions of 

-Acronis trueimage (doesn't have the universal  restore feature)

-EaseUS Todo PCTrans (2 apps only)

laplink easy transfer (not now free)

no go. I'm happy enough to front up $50, but only if reasonably confident it'll do the job, I won't have to buy another copy for the 2nd machine, other fish-hooks etc

Anyone tried these, got recommendations?

TiA nerd pals.

Edited by h4nd
ess's

So im looking for matters of opinions on something because I can't make my mind up.

Been thinking next year I might convert crown wagon to 1kz.

It's currently coloumn shift auto, which is nice because can just jump in and drive no stress,  and niki can drive it no stress also which works well when im hung over etc.

I can not decide whether to go manual or auto.  I ask as I imported a 1kz to w slash g bell housing,  and also bought a 5 speed g box with column shift gear.  This was on prep for putting 1kz into my hilux. But it's not worth the effort. 

1kzs are pretty rad, and tend to work really well as an auto. But there is something very alluring about a diesel turbo manual column shift I cant seem to shake, especially when I have everything to do it. 

I want to do diesel skids.  Lets put it that way.  Either option should do this. 

Help me old school wan kenobi, you're my only hope. 

If you wan to drive at wagon time, or to use it daily in welly then auto.

However, if you want to drive regular time and have fun whilst doing it then manual without question.  Karls Ced is column shift diseasel turbs and suitably loffles for it.  At the end of the day even in manual you'll probably be able to slot it into 4th or 5th and give zero fucks because torque.

• Like 1

Ah yes extra details. 

Firstly one thing I get pissed off with on the 2jz crown is constantly shifting gears,  but that is probably more due to epic diff ratio than anything.  Which is where auto would be nice. 

To answer Rogers questions.  The 1kz I have has non ecu pump fitted from a 4m40t which has run on a vehicle before.  So no to running factory ecu. I understand the a340 trans is electronically controlled and there for I would need a stand alone ecu for that,  which yowzer happens to have a spare off. Other issue with auto is will need a vehicle speed sensor adapter to run both ecu and speedo gauge which is an unpleasant expense unless there is an a340 that does this.  Other option is simply running a full auo ecu but not actually running the engine controls.  All the ecu needs to shift trans is a tps signal. Which can always be remotely mounted. 

On the other side, because wag is auto, I will need to get a manual conversion which isn't as easy as it sounds with bench seat also, due to foot operated hand brake.  And will need to convert the steering column I currently have to column shift using hilux bits, which could also be a mega pain. 

Exactly this. Diesel torque is your friend here. Before I was married I'd go through to Dunners every weekend in my manual XC and I'd drive home late Sunday night without changing gear or touching the brake all the way from the top of Caversham hill to the turn into my driveway in Kaitangata. I suspect you will achieve similar if not better cruisability with your wags.

I'd do an auto for a car like that-

*its never going to be a racecar

* turbo and auto is good as it doesn't come off boost when it shifts

* sounds easier to do in your case

* a340 behind a 1uz I had, had a taller overdrive than a manual box so it dealt with lower diff gears better

* soarer?? a340 has separate ecu for trans I think, surely there would be a non ecu controlled version also in something

• Like 6