Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

It's  a common issue with carby bikes @Nick Ritchie. My rebel won't idle unless its Been running for a good 10 min and it's lack of a functional choke doesn't help. You have to remember you have a 250 trying to warm up a decent chunk of alloy and steel plus a few litres of oil. It seems odd that full choke kills it. Does the choke not operate a fast idle as well? 

• Like 1

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Carsnz123 said:

It's  a common issue with carby bikes @Nick Ritchie. My rebel won't idle unless its Been running for a good 10 min and it's lack of a functional choke doesn't help. You have to remember you have a 250 trying to warm up a decent chunk of alloy and steel plus a few litres of oil. It seems odd that full choke kills it. Does the choke not operate a fast idle as well? 

Ahhh thought it might just be a fact oflife. Choke works for about 20 seconds after being primed,  then starts to splutter. Nawell

Registered or built?

My wof guy is a mate, and a GC. BUt even he once said there was no way he'd ever remove a cat from a modern car. 

My CBF it too high to open them up and remove the gizzards and replace with a perforated resonator style internal pipe.

Yes, I have ALL of the CBF's. 

• Like 1

There's really no need to remove a cat anyway, they're no more restrictive than a muffler. 

The engine is tuned to utilise the cat for emissions purposes, which does sacrifice some performance and economy, but since ditching the cat has no affect on the engines tune there's not really anything to gain.

Unless it's blocked, but that's highlighting another issue with your engine.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Registered or built?

My wof guy is a mate, and a GC. BUt even he once said there was no way he'd ever remove a cat from a modern car. 

My CBF it too high to open them up and remove the gizzards and replace with a perforated resonator style internal pipe.

Yes, I have ALL of the CBF's. 

What counts as modern? Dads 1980 Crown has had the cat removed and I'm going to do the same to the '87 crown wagon as the fucker is leaking. Old style cats were basically ceramic pellets coated in catalyst (platnium and something else I can't remember) that were housed in a stainless cage. These would block up very easily and created huge back pressure. Hence why it was common to ditch them. Modern monolith cats use a metal mesh coated in catalyst. They don't block up much and have negligible back pressure. I think they did the changeover in the '90s some time. 

4 hours ago, Nick Ritchie said:

That was justa stock photo from innerwebs, im running std airbox. 

@Goat when i adjusted idle it helped, but once warmed up it idled way too high, perhaos bump the pilot up one size ? 

There should be 2 separate adjustments?

One for the actual idle, which changes where the cable sits and how much it holds the butterfly open, the other is to do with the extra air/fuel that is fed into the idle circuit.

Should be able to strike a balance with these maybe? Not too sure, have not had this issue myself, I'd get it idling lushly with the choke on via the air/fuel screw, then dial down the throttle linkage/cable adjustment to get it idling lower when its hot?

CV carbs are ham, have only dealt with round slide, but have never experienced the issue you describe. This is just a guess.. hah.

At miter10 mega they have a big range of car and truck battery's some of them were covered in dust and looked like they hadn't been moved or touched in a very long time,  how long should a battery sit on a shop shelf before its no good to sell if the shop did give a fuck?

when I was walking to the counter a guy ran out the door with one and he got away to,

• Like 2