Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

why do some of the old petrol Highace have that realy loud intake sound on the over run? rrrrrrrrrrrrrr bawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaa

is it some stupid mod, get mags on the van and make the intake relay loud

Wife always knew I was almost home when I had one, mate had one too reckoned he fixed it/improved it by fitting new hose from air box to where ever it gets its air from as it was split? Didn't bother me so never looked into it

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Professional asking a possible amateur question here:

Holden 202 Alternator wiring.

Has terminal D+ for the charge light.

Am I right in assuming that this works as an earth wire for the charge light? IE: one side of bulb to ignition,  other side of bulb to the D+ terminal? And open circuits when alternator is charging?

or does it work opposite? which if that's the case, will be a big bag of balls.

Science will tell you yes. But. When you think about it...... how does an alternator know its got a calcium battery attached to it instead of an old fashioned lead?

It doesn't know, and consequently fucks the battery through under-charging it and you need to buy a new battery in 6 months time... If it lasts that long.

It doesn't know, and consequently fucks the battery through under-charging it and you need to buy a new battery in 6 months time... If it lasts that long.

Had this soo often when I was playing auto sparky. I'd you chuck a diode in the sense line you cam get another half a volt ish out of it

I have had a Super Charge Gold calcium - calcium grid battery in my 1981 Volvo 245 for 6 years, it was there when I got the car.  I think the last owner fitted in in 2008.

I just got another one from the wreckers and was going to fit it to my ford with a DC generator.

But it seems you have to charge them with 15V? 

http://toolmonger.com/2010/09/01/vice-grips-from-bizzaro-world/

depending on how strong it needs to be you can just reverse the jaws on a quickgrip/wood clamp

That's the thing.

But I'd need the same cerated jaws that vice grips have as what I'd be clamping on is kinda soft. A hook for a slide hammer would be legit too.

I have had a Super Charge Gold calcium - calcium grid battery in my 1981 Volvo 245 for 6 years, it was there when I got the car.  I think the last owner fitted in in 2008.

I just got another one from the wreckers and was going to fit it to my ford with a DC generator.

But it seems you have to charge them with 15V? 

If it's 3rd brush ford generator it can put out up to 20 volts no sweat, but how will it know that it's supposed to put out 15 volt without you putting 14 in?  i dunno.

• Like 1

Calculating shock length to avoid bottoming out with height adjustable suspension;

If my total strut length from base to underside of strut tower is approx 500mm at what will be lowest setting (wheel jacked up to approx lowest position) then my shock length needs to be no longer than 500mm? Or can be a bit longer and run a bit pushed it so to speak? Guess i need to know stroke distance?