Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey chaps, I'm dumb and can't figure out where to get thread-in wheel studs locally (within NZ)?!

Ignore me. Just found a supplier. Herp derp.

Can W58 guts fit in a W55 case?

Looks like they can! I remember reading in a few forums that W55 to W59 are all the same case but the guts can be different. Hope it's true!

Cool, I have a buggered W55 box with a bucket of spare internals, which I noticed had a steel sandwich plate. Shall do a measure up and figure out what it is and what I can make happen with it.

Could be worth hitting up Camel, Sheepers or OldNathan maybe? They've all diddled with toyota boxes

Ignore me. Just found a supplier. Herp derp.

Looks like they can! I remember reading in a few forums that W55 to W59 are all the same case but the guts can be different. Hope it's true!

Where who. Mine currently has bolts screwed in to the back of the hub and cut bolts glued in to the rear drums. 

• Like 1

Where who. Mine currently has bolts screwed in to the back of the hub and cut bolts glued in to the rear drums. 

This guy here on TM http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1137506192

When I say a supplier, I shoulda meant a bloke on TM who has his own store. He lists them as Mazda wheel studs but I'm 99% sure they're useable for our oldschool bmws as well. 12x1.5mm thread should be spot on.

In regards to W boxes, I did a bit of research a few years ago when i was getting one to put behind my v12.

As far as i could find. W55,57 and 58 are the same just with different ratios,

Some have a steel sandwich plate. And these are the slightly stronger ones, due to the alloy plate flexing in high torque applications, and this causes them to break.

A common misconception is that a w58 is the stronger, where infact it is the same as the other W series boxes (just different ratios). Its just the sandwich plate which determines which box is the "stronger" one. And all the W series boxes can come with the steel sandwich plate. Have seen 55s 57s and 58s with both alloy and steel. Though its more common for a 58 to be steel sandwich, and a 55 to be alloy sandwich. Probably why they have the reputation at being the stronger box.

So Yowser, internals should be sweet to swap. May not be able to swap alloy sandwich plate internals into a steel sandwich plate as they may have different bearings. Just something to note.

• Like 2

I thought the gears in the 57/8 were a bit wider than the 55s. Guess I'll find out when I figure what these guts are from.

I haven't measured the ratios yet so dunno if it is actually a 57/8, steel plate just leads me to think it might be.