Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

So How do you know How much oil to stick back into ab oil shock absorber?

I spilled a wee Bit, so I'm not sure?.

Fuck it really really reeks too. I have a gear oil spill to contend with too.

I'm not thrilled about the amount of contact on the top spring cup either really. :|

And How legit.Is using a droop stop.spacer to keep my cutties captive? I found a bit of plastic conduit which seems the right size.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I planned to replace it. It's like 42 years old. And smells like it's been dead for a few of those.

I heard atf Is the go?

So fill the tube up to the top, knackered strut rod with piston, and then fill the rest of the strut body around the tube up too?

ATF is roughly the equivalent of 7wt/medium fork oil in motorcycle terms.

Would likely be the go in a car too.

Most hydraulic oils will work mint, range of weights available to play with.

I know some guys run single weight engine oils in old school shocks.

How about the filling it up part?

Completely fill the entire assembley?

I'm probably going to shorten the strut rods now. I have access to a lathe, But I'm not competent to screw cutbthe new thread. (Yet!)

But a competant machinist will be present today to show me How it's done.

Totally fill to overflow as you screw the top on

And cycle the damper rod first to get rid of the air bubbles

Used to add a welded on nut and bleed screw on old triumph rear shocks to make them rebuild able easier

Other way is to assemble them in a tub of fluid

• Like 1

anyone know of any cheap places to buy a shrinker stretcher for panel beating??

I feel I may require one.

I just bought a pair of Eastwood ones off trademe. pretty good so far. gave them a hammering on some 1.2mm and they worked sweet. I might upgrade the screws that hold the jaws in as they are a little small and let it slip a touch but all in all im happy with them. 

• Like 1

Because windows had me confused for a while.

If it goes to sleep after a couple of minutes, even though you've set up the screen / power settings, here's how to enable the 'secret' setting to be able to adjust the "System unattended sleep timeout" function:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/246364-power-options-add-system-unattended-sleep-timeout.html

I had some steel wheels sandblasted and powder coated about 15 years ago.

Now there is some rust appearing through the powder coat.

What's the best way to remove the coating?

I could get them blasted again, or someone (KK?) suggested the dip-strip process.

Anyone have experience here?

A powder coater, who also did sand blasting reckoned that powder coating (well his stuff anyway) needed to be chemically stripped. As it was too.hard core for blasting.

Biggest Fuck up with sand blasting Is thw delay in painting. Shit needs to be delt to with kephos straight post blasting.

A powder coater, who also did sand blasting reckoned that powder coating (well his stuff anyway) needed to be chemically stripped. As it was too.hard core for blasting.

Biggest Fuck up with sand blasting Is thw delay in painting. Shit needs to be delt to with kephos straight post blasting.

I asked about getting a chassis powder coated and said i could get it blasted at my work for cheap. They were not keen due to time without paint and also other contaminants getting onto the surface before painting.

Fair enough too. Atleast if they do all the required work then they can somewhat warranty the finish.

• 2 weeks later...