The K20A / K24A thread

Roman

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea its probably going to cost you 10k if you can't do things yourself to make it legal. People probably spe

nd close to that on 4age conversions without knowing it. We all now swapping engines will cost more money that n you plan/think.

My price was a ghetto initial buy in money to get the project rolling which is what everyone seems to balk at. We can run down the list of most of the costs if you want.

The thing with the K is the potential, you can spend similar money swapping in XYZ 4 banger and ultimately you have a inferior engine. If you want just a stocker to chuck in to do 300,000km on then hey maybe get something cheaper.

• Like 1

Yea its probably going to cost you 10k if you can't do things yourself to make it legal. People probably spe

nd close to that on 4age conversions without knowing it. We all now swapping engines will cost more money that n you plan/think.

My price was a ghetto initial buy in money to get the project rolling which is what everyone seems to balk at. We can run down the list of most of the costs if you want.

The thing with the K is the potential, you can spend similar money swapping in XYZ 4 banger and ultimately you have a inferior engine. If you want just a stocker to chuck in to do 300,000km on then hey maybe get something cheaper.

Okay well another way to look at it. (As in, not talking from the point of view of a theoretical person with infinity money to spend)

How much would it cost to put a bare bones standard engine in RWD format, and get 180-200hp?

Are there better/easier options at this power level/price?

How much does it cost to put a modified engine in RWD format, to get 240-250hp? Is the extra hassle worth it over an F20C+gearbox package which is a hell of a lot easier to do and potentially cheaper?

How much does it cost to put a modified engine in RWD format, and get 300+hp? $20k? $30k?

Potential that's outside of budget is exactly that, something that hasnt manifested itself and never will if the wallet is empty already.

As cool as it is I dont think a RWD K motor is, and with exciting potential. I dont think it's an unsung hero of cheap NA power like you claim.

I have personally seen a track car over here with a K24a3 with stock heads and bottom end make 245hp at the wheels with fuck all mods. It had a Kpro (stock ECU mod thing), a K20a oil pump (stock one is no good with more revs I think), headers and some cheap cams. Oh maybe the VCT mod.

K24 with cams and exhaust will make 250 whp as Spencer said.

But the thing is, for me at least, I would want ITB's and 13.5:1 pistons and a ported head as well, which will put you firmly in the 300 whp for a couple of thousand extra, which is completely beyond what basically any other 4 banger will do and it isn't expensive.

Oh and a 3" exhaust hahaha