wildcat_lgf's 1972 Fiat 124 BC

wildcat_lgf

Ok,

So the link to the build thread is here:

Build Thread

It looks to be mostly original - or should I say original condition...

It's not bad for being 40+years old - just everything needs attention.  Bodywork will be the main concern and I've been to scared to take a proper look yet.

Also trying to figure out deails/specs about the car:

Spoiler is odd - but seems to fit the car properly.  Its made of semi-flexible rubber like the front chin spoiler of an early X1/9.  Is it a Fiat item?  If not, what's it off?

Engine should be a 1608cc - will have to confirm with engine numbers soon, but its got a pair of DHLA 45's which I would think to be on the large side?  No idea about the rest of the condition

Depending on how much is original already (bolt-on add-ons excepted), I'll probably keep it period looking with some minor upgrades.

If anyone has any ideas or knowledge about the car I'd be happy to hear them...

Looks good . The engine must have a fair amount of work to have 45s on it . My 1.6 runs 45's no problems Keen to see more

yeah that was my thought too - of course it could be running sub-optimally with jsut some bolt-on go fast bits...I'll have to strip it down to find out - but that's the easy part.  The bodywork is the hard part (for me).

yeah that was my thought too - of course it could be running sub-optimally with jsut some bolt-on go fast bits...I'll have to strip it down to find out - but that's the easy part.  The bodywork is the hard part (for me).

I have the same problem with body work and i'm very fussy bugger . I think it will need them if they where go fast bits it would really average due to the size of the carbs

Cheers guys...

Yeah 70's Fiat's and rust go hand in hand - using russian steel is the rumoured reason...don't know how much truth there is in that.

I'll have to check out the venturi sizes to see if its ok - pretty sure I'll leave them on anyway though.

Good call on the MR2 spoiler - it does look similar.  It will have to come off I'm afraid.

From a preliminary glance, rust isn't too bad.  A bit around the windscreen, and a few bubbles here and there.  Nothing visable on the bottom of the doors (yet), or sills.  Some of the udnerbody seal is missing around the drivers footwell - perhaps previous repair area?

I'll get a video or at least audio of it running sometime soon.

So much to do - where do I start?

I think the plan of attack is:

Attack known rust areas on the body.  Check underneath and repair underbody areas.

Engine/gearbox (general tidy-up and inspection) - the fun part

Interior make-over.  re-upholster seats (new foam is in order), dash, carpets, door trims.

Anyone re-wired their project?  Italian wiring is notoriously dodgy, and I've seen a few "universal" kits to upgrade to relays.  Is it worth it or does it create way too much work & $$$ ?

Yes another twin cam! lovely motors, the sound of mine makes me smile every time, and it was almost a sad day when mine went back in the car and I could no longer stare at it from every angle, I look forward to more pics!

oh and please ditch the wing and muffler  :) 

yeah you lucky bugger- I love these cars. The alloys look cool in that proper 70's kiwi petrol head way. But that spoiler and exhaust. Can you burn the spoiler, take a video and post it up?

I second that you don't poke the blisters. Unless they are a wof fail or in a structural area why not just leave them a while and just enjoy driving the car and have some fun before you learn about all its other Italian derived problems and create a never ending list of faults to remedy. Anyway.. those blisters. They cant possibly go any further than skin deep?...

old cars rust, its a fact of life.

yeah around the winderscreen and the sills bottom corner of the footwells  and bottom corners of the boot are the likely places for rust.

check the engine crossmember for cracks on the welds also. that said most have been repaired if the are still on the road, I have never actually seen a cracked one as they have always been welded up more already.

you have the exhaust cambox, distributor and probably cam from the original engine, but the thermostat housing and thermostat are from a 131 or 132 so it might have a different engine. cant quite tell from the angle how close the camboxes are to the firewall to work out if it is a two litre or not.  if you post the head and/or engine numbers we can further dechipher what is in there exactly.  also some kind of extractors are fitted but the exhaust pairing is wrong really but I doubt it is the end of the world.

does the gearlever feel like a cock in a sock and flobble around all over the show or is it somewhat precise?

like said above dont poke the rust unless the wof man makes you. if you can get a wof do that and just spray everything with fish oil in the meantime. better to keep things on the road.

any particular plans apart from arseholing said spoiler and fart can just get a straight through muffler from chase to replace it and the normal pipe out the back.

Imagine the induction sounds great and loud with no filters haha.