wildcat_lgf's 1972 Fiat 124 BC

wildcat_lgf

Just had this 124 bc turn up on my doorstep...I know nothing about it, but put a bid in and at the end I was left holding the baby.

So it arrived yesterday, there are a few ugly bits on it like the enormous tailpipe, and I'm not convinced about the spoiler (I doubt the spoiler is genuine? But can't imagine what else it would be off)
It's rocking a pair of dellorto 45s which I thought would be a bit oversized for a 1608; but then I know very little, and even less about this particular car.

Rego is still live (just put it on hold) so that's a bonus in my book.

Original colour - complete with a little rust here and there (surprise surprise)

Wheels are 13 x 6(?) Ward mags - I believe NZ made back in the 70's.

post-18839-0-85707200-1417592557_thumb.jpg

Ridiculous exhaust on it - and I'm not sure about the spoiler?  If the rest of the car were done right it could be ok (only if by some miracle the spoiler were a genuine Fiat item) - otherwise it has to come off.

post-18839-0-24693600-1417592558_thumb.jpg

Engine bay - should be a 1608cc , but I need to check the numbers to be sure it still is.  Pair of DHLA 45's too

post-18839-0-16060400-1417592557_thumb.jpg

After a night on the battery charger and a bit of priming of the carbs I managed to get it running this evening - it sounds fierce!  I don't think I could cope with that amount of noise all the time, but it did bring a smile to my face when I first heard it.  Blowing a little smoke but pretty happy it runs.

Now...where to start?

Discussion Thread

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Ok, so I haven't gotten very far with the Fiat - in fact its a bit of a sad story...

I was telling a friend at church about the Fiat and he got all enthusiastic about it as a project for he and his son to work on as a first car.  He's been looking for a while for a classic project, and so in the end I've ended up selling it to him.

Hopefully he (or his son) posts up on OS the progress he's making.

So far, he's eliminated the nasty squealling noise due to the exhaust touching the driveshaft, given the carbs a basic tune to get it mobile, and taken it on a few spirited drives :)

Sooo...I'm now looking for another project:  options are"

early Fiat X1/9

Fiat or Alfa Spider

MGB (with a v8)

Let me know if you know of any...