Mighty Joe's English Duo, Cortina '67 + Triumph '74.

MightyJoe

G'day. Sorry if i'm breaking rules posting two at a time but i didn't think it was worth one a piece as they're both relatively small projects, if it's not allowed please let me know and i'll seperate them. 

These are my two, well the Cortina is mine and the Triumph is the Mrs...  I put the Cortina, "Jess"  in for a warrant today after a few months off the road running like a bag of spanners. she failed on a rear brake cylinder weeping so i replaced that this afternoon and  the missus is dropping it off tomorrow and hopefully she'll be stickered up for the summer! :)  Nothing flash under the bonnet but hopefully it'll prove functional and reliable which is enough for now. 

DSCN2710_zps3cfdbcb9.jpg

DSCN2709_zps0042d6d3.jpg

DSCN2707_zps0527eb04.jpg

The Triumph, "Lola",   is bang in the middle of some major cosmetic surgery. 40 years of Kiwi sun wasn't kind to the old girl and she was looking tired and well past her best. After she failed Warrant in august on dreaded rust the decision was made to take her off the road, fix her properly and have something a little more  "fun" rather than just weld her up and keep on going.

an old picture after we'd not long had her.  

DSCN0962_zpsfa204f8d.jpg

Taken a few weeks ago. 

lola1_zps7f605f0e.jpg

lola2_zpsf76d3a6a.jpg

lola3_zpsebbb5082.jpg

The Colour scheme for the Triumph :D

6692373727_64c5e4f803_b_zpse2c4ba3f.jpg

• Like 9

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Not been updating this much but its all pretty standard stuff. cleaning parts, polishing parts, replacing parts, sourcing better replacements etc. Got the dash retrimmed a while back and fitted it today. not 100% happy with it. it has a heat shrink mark in the d/s corner and glue overspray on the other side. not a massive issue but fuck you pay retail for something you want a nice job done. i could've done it myself better but lesson learned. it looks better than before though. got a carpet kit ordered this week so i'll be stoked to get that in and  get the floor covered. it'll give a huge moral boost i reckon. 

me and the missus want to do the Kaikoura hop on 20th sept. 7 weeks from now minus a week for a holiday we've got. eep. Give me some love and a kick up the arse to " Git 'er dun" please.   Joe. 

DSCN3212_zpss6vcgsms.jpg

DSCN3213_zpsrb3cy2v6.jpg

DSCN3216_zpsglnnahvt.jpg

Discussion. 

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/46071-mighty-joes-english-duo-cortina-67-triumph-74/

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

She's been wof'd for about a month now, sorry about the lack of updates but i'm crap with that, the missus takes all the pictures anyway.  finished it the wed night, wof thurs, straight through, up to kaikoura for the hop on friday. close! since then i've serviced it thoroughly and have been fitting finishing touches took it to marlbrough last weekend for labour weekend and she flew. 100k all the way, only minor issue was she split a rad hose and was weeping coolant because i disturbed it to flush the rad i reckon.but it was close to the end and i just cut it and reattached to get me home with a slight kink. happy days. . Its still not done but its close. can't get the chrome trim on the new windscreen seal so i think i'll have to glue it on. the painter has gone radio silent on the visor and i got a heart stopping quote for some new minilite wheels, so i'm gonna look elsewhere for now.  few pics. feedback appreciated on the finish, colour scheme etc, good or bad. its been dividing opinions for 3 weeks now. love it or hate it lol. 

12011279_10156076954835367_5505960995481

12004955_10156076955250367_4933875253704

12052503_10156076957340367_6020233031599

10885276_10156076955560367_3059684761711

12189636_10156182608755367_6093060999283

Joe. 

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Still Smoking about in the old triumph. well the missus is. I've just placed a very large order with burton power. The Cortina should be seeing a tickled 1500 pre crossflow in a  month or three. long way from home yet but rough spec is going to be 0.60 thou over pistons 10.5-1 comp, A2 cosworth cam, twin 40 dcoes 4-1 mainfold and everything that moves renewed. only thing i'm not too sure of yet is the final spec of the head. As you can't get the valves anymore the machiners reckons he can make some easy enough just let him know sizes, so i'll work out what i want and that'll be the last bit. gonna have unleaded valve seats fitted though.

the list!  and thats not everything! :(  fuuuuck. ahaa. classic cars. 

DSCN3508_zpsgfqofigq.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I finally got this back after my own laziness and tbh money stuffs. (visas are expensive) But i painted my ute, triumph is chugging along nicely as a daily for the missus so i free'd up enough plastic to get these parts home :)  Surely would've been easier to stick a 4age or CA18 or, even an RB but feck it. i love the sound of these little motors on carbies and its got a bench seat and a column 4 speed manual for epic cruising times so no fucks given :) fun times ahead, after another few parts are sourced. 

DSCN3653_zps2vnvamkq.jpg

Note the size difference in the rocker gear. 

DSCN3655_zps0tqydwpp.jpg

The Valves are 2mm bigger than stock as far as i can make out ( they're a bit difficult to measure with the verniers once installed.)

inlet 38.4

exh. 32.5 

DSCN3658_zpsz115guqb.jpg

Cam specs Power Band: 3000-7000rpm

Valve Lift: 0.349"
Duration: 286°
Timing Figures: 35/71/71/35
Inlet Timing: 108° ATDC
Inlet lift at TDC: 0.077"
Valve Clearances: .020" inlet/.022" exhaust

+60 oversize pistons.  82mm.

DSCN3659_zpsmbttl0tl.jpg

DSCN3661_zpsxt3rgdnd.jpg

rods are original but have been checked, balanced and 'weighted' together. dunno the proper term. this is the only thing limiting the redline really, the cam will run out of steam at about 7000 but if i wanted to stick a wilder cam in it in the future, with proper rods and the rest of the work its set for the racetrack. 

DSCN3660_zpslqxob1xs.jpg

The difference between the old main caps Vs the new. held in with arp studs and nuts. 

DSCN3663_zpsokt3ok4v.jpg

Electronic dizzy with expensive coil (because chrome) mapped with the right curve for my cam. 

DSCN3664_zpsvlusjsdj.jpg

and a boring cover plate, but its been balanced right through with the flywheel and crank. 

DSCN3665_zpsa1dqrik7.jpg

And i got these bad boys today. Chur to Shaneo for putting me onto them. These are exaclty what i wa after Quattros 13x7.  4x108PCD. Not an easy wheel to find it turns out. but man i'm chufed to bits with 'em. all i need is nuts to bolt them on too they're ready to go. bonus. She's gone from whitewall grandads car to bogan staple in 15 seconds :)

39356dc1-7d1a-49a5-bf13-b42557eabd2d_zps

im still shopping but that is the bulk done. thank fuck. the missus would actualy kill me is i had anymore bills to pay like these! haha (nervously laughs whilst sweating)

Discussion. 

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/46071-mighty-joes-english-duo-cortina-67-triumph-74/

I\l update this a bit more regularly now. i'm hoping to get the car home this weekend if i can get the trailer and work on it at home instead of having it in the workshop.

• Like 9

• 2 months later...

Wow i'm far too slack with these updates. Progress is slower than i'd like but finding the odd part here and there for a 49 year old pommy motor is difficult sometimes! 

Anyway. I got the car back from the yard. The weather has not been kind to her :(

hilux%20cortina_zpswmde0a6z.jpg

Deja vu? 

10393150_10155251424300177_2883643146913

I was gonna paint the engine bay but then decided against it. i just want it back on the road for summer. i want to paint the whole thing in a couple of years anyway, and i might got for a colour change anyway, so i degreased it and striped out most stuff, i think i'm going to hide the loom, or some of it at least. 

DSCN3858_zpsg66zcfum.jpg

And just been painting, cleaning, assembling, realising i need another seal/gasket/bolt and going off to locate that and then its 3 days later. 

DSCN3859_zps8ryz3udw.jpg

DSCN3860_zpspbeinqrf.jpg

DSCN3884_zpsgkp4u1w2.jpg

3534e474-f6db-4a07-99b5-90097bc9b414_zps

The fella in the overalls is Stan my housemate. he's a diesel mechanic and i think he was bored today, so i fucked around cleaning and polishing parts and he assembled some more of the engine. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been tinkering away with this, I had a mates mini to fix last week so didn't get to touch the tina. got some done today though. the engine is together for the last time and i'm fucking stoked about that. i'm sick of looking at it on the bench now i want it in the car. timed it, set the tappets and rebuilt the fuel pump and whacked that on. i couldn't resist throwing some extra bits on for a photo.  also turned down my slightly too large wheel nuts by sticking them in my drill press and basically holding the grinder against them, one by one. worked a treat who needs a lathe? lol  I got 2 of those bad boys on just to have a look. 

DSCN3892_zpsia8eu6j2.jpg

DSCN3894_zpsots9esdr.jpg

the obligatory "i'm working" pose. whats the deal with playing a guitar in the engine bay too?   

DSCN3896_zps9slrwzhc.jpg

DSCN3893_zpsguabzccv.jpg

DSCN3900_zpspuubfdkh.jpg

DSCN3901_zps190cnjcn.jpg

DSCN3903_zpscl1ezzsr.jpg

DSCN3904_zpsppdm7f8m.jpg

she's not far off lads. exciting!! :D 

discussion.

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/46071-mighty-joes-english-duo-cortina-67-triumph-74/page-2

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

So i've been woprking on the Triumph for a few weeks, it needed a wof and rather than patch it up here and there i gave her a wee tickle and re did some stuff i wasn't happy with from the first build up. this was a list as long as your arm of small bits, but now, for the first time in a long time i'm happy with her apearance. i did some stuff the missus wanted doing too, and gave her some upgrades, namely, a cup holder on the glovebox lid and some usb and phone charging ports in there too! :D  simple things to keep her indoors happy! haha.

things i've re done. 

the front seatbelts were old and wouldn't retract that last 6 inches, so imounted them on a collar sruch tube so they dont rub. re greased the spindle on full extension and schweet! 

fitted the mudflaps at the missus' request. i prefer without, its less grandad-spec but meh. 

re wired the radio with a proper inline fuse and safe permanent live, not one twisted into place off the clock loom

found a centre console that isn't cracked. since the dash is recovered it needed 2-3mm chopping off the top so it'd fit. scary, but it worked. 

re attached the vinyl on the front of the parcel shelves. 

put the carpet in again from scratch after taking the lot out, scrubbing it and letting it dry properly, i prefer the fit this time. plus now the screen doesn't leak it wont smell again. its lush. 

fitted the chrome trims and stuff i still hadn't done along the doors and stuff, that was just me being pure lazy. 

re touched the seats with the vinyl paint. i'm stoked at how tht stuff sticks and lasts. 100% recommended by me. 

new screen, professionally fitted this time. 

rebuilt the choke mechanism with a new sleeve with a plastic insert so its soother. its still stiff, cos of the stupid length of the inner wire and the bends it has to make but its a massive improvement. 

fixed the dash lights, all sensors now present and working. 

new brake disks and pads. 

new quarter light rubbers, she's now officially new rubbered up all round. there isn't a single old seal on the ol'girl. 

fitted the cheapo SU air filters i've had forever too. she barks hard now but its eaned right out and changed the idle, so i might put the standard airbox back on, i dont want to fuck with the carb tuning, she's too good a runner, plus its the missus' car, no real need. 

The engine bays still messy but its honest dirt, not an oily mess anymore. 

Took her for a wof today, right front wheel bearing needs a tweak up and 2 tyres, which i already knew about the tyres so i'm stoked to hell!

Hopefully i'll be able to get the new mags sorted in time so i wont have to find 2 tyres i'll only use for an hour. 

Token pics, cos thanks for reading. 

DSCN3915_zpsetnwc9jb.jpg

DSCN3916_zpshcogwch4.jpg

DSCN3917_zpsfmjznelo.jpg

• Like 4