sheepers 1977 (i think, could be 76) Toyota Celica TA23

sheepers

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Na its all good man, it will be that epoxy. I was meaning urethane 2K primer, sands like a baws and lays down flatter, I use 1.4mm and can cheese it on. It is the normal thing you lay down after epoxy for blocking. That green stuff sands pretty shit (I still do initial block in it), use like half the sand paper using urethane and its cheaper. Not being a dick, everything you have done is spot on, it just makes things easier next car lol

I've learned a few things about the epotech since I've been using it.

it sands fine once you get the skin off. and to do that you use a DA.

for some reason it doesn't load the paper if you sand the skin off with a DA.

time helps to make the sanding better.

I've had no issue with it

So the normal method that many car resto places will use is epoxy on bare metal, block and do bog work on this, seal bog work with epoxy. Then next step is 2K urethane primer, it sands better than epoxy, lays down flatter with my small gun (IMO) and builds thickness better (again IMO), its cheaper here also (maybe by like $20-30) it also has the same excellent adhesion and non-shrink properties of epoxy (when applied to the correct surface). Pretty sure it is also designed to be the layer you paint base coat on where as that particular epoxy you have is designed as a industrial metal coating (although I use it like you in engine bays etc wet on wet). Although the last few I have done I bought a more expensive epoxy that is made for wet coating and it worked better than being a jew and getting the cheapest (that epotec is like $120 for a kit here).

I have done 3 cars so far (Buick could almost count as 2 lol) , done countless engine bays and other bits and pieces though. 2k urethane primer is pretty standard fare, it sands so much better and also fills better. I also like having the green under layer when doing my block work as a guide. 

I imagine your painter will want to put his own surfacer/primer before he paints anyway? probably just a wet sealer coat?