Prothy's 1977 Toyota Celica TA23 ST

sheepers

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sheepers

Top Posters In This Topic

after posting that i went and did a bit more so the bottom corners at the front and back of the arch are finished as well now and I've given the bare steel a coat of super etch.

tomorrow ill get some more done. don't know what ill attack next but i would like to think that the bulk of the rust is done. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

doors.

drivers door has been mungreled (surprise surprise) so i bought another door of Mike in the hope of it being better that the one on the car. the more i dug the more obvious it became that the new door wasn't much better than the one on the car.

so I'm going to get them all acid dipped along with the front guards and the boot lid.

then ill decide which door to use and what to do next. I've just sold my scooter so I'm cashed up and I'm thinking that i might pay Peter the panel beater to fix the doors because ill probably fuck them up.

dunno, ill talk to peter and see if he's keen to do them.

17257811386_aa7f694d23_h.jpgUntitled by sheepers-ra28, on Flickr

17283791345_10a8c39a1d_h.jpgUntitled by sheepers-ra28, on Flickr17257849416_96a5e7547b_h.jpgUntitled by sheepers-ra28, on Flickr

• Like 2

this is what the drives door looks like.

form the inside i can't actually see the rust holes they were trying to cover up, there is probably a small hole in each corner and thats it.

the shape of the patch is completely wrong and the door sticks out a good 10mm past the two panels its supposed to line up with. 

17096557670_9643554fe3_h.jpgUntitled by sheepers-ra28, on Flickr

17258162006_ce71c0a11a_h.jpgUntitled by sheepers-ra28, on Flickr

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i took the screens out today. i was worried id find the same level of repair work around the screen channels as ive found elsewhere (the screens were held in with silicone and hope so i knew some cowboy had been in there previously) but to my surprise there is no rust and the original clip pins for the trim are all still there and in fantastic shape so im super happy about that! the door above has been repaired and Peter will soon start on the pasingers side door.

in other news, when i told Peter that i was going to buy a fiberglass boot lid for the car because the ones i have are to far gone to repair he had a fit and told me in no uncertain terms that i was not putting glass panels on it as long as he lived so hes fixing a boot lid for me as well. result.

i probably would have gotten more done on this if i hadn't been playing with superchargers...... 

• Like 3

gave the inside and outside of the wheel arches a good coat of primer. i kept pouring it in until it ran out the bottom of both corners. there plenty of paint in there now.

19222903715_b64eb2c774_b.jpgUntitled by sheepers, on Flickr

gave the rear window surround a wire brush to see what i could find and unsurprisingly there are a couple of shit repairs which ill cut out and make new.

havent checked the front scuttle panel yet but the front screen channel is rust free which i s great news. 

19035248370_a69ef300aa_b.jpgUntitled by sheepers, on Flickr

19035284148_68ab9ea654_b.jpgUntitled by sheepers, on Flickr

• Like 5

today went well. i blocked back the drivers door and its really close to the right shape. i was able to get the shape pretty much ready for a final coat of primer with just a bit of green spot putty.

ill put another layer of primer on it probably tomorrow night. 

no bog, excellent. 

19398373726_88acd5af3b_c.jpgUntitled by sheepers, on Flickr

• Like 6

front guards are 99% right. second coat of primer on. man did i fuck that up. never sprayed this paint before, well, not vertically and it behaves completely differently to what I'm used to. cut a long story short i thought it was to dry so i put more paint on. it wasn't to dry. 

not to worry, there is at least one more coat of primer to go yet.

18972062624_1165d2002b_b.jpgUntitled by sheepers, on Flickr

but in bigger and better news peter finished the boot lid and its fucking magic. i trial fitted it and it lines up with everything mint. its really close to finished shape and i reckon a light skim of bog along the bottom edge and it'll be spot on.

i havent painted the top yet. ill do that tomorrow along with what i hope is the final coat of primer on the drivers door and ill also paint the hinges tomorrow too. 

18972118264_a066ed1a33_b.jpgUntitled by sheepers, on Flickr

• Like 3

primed the front guards for what i hope is the last time. 

shape is really good. will see better when they are on the car and aligned with the other panels but at this stage they look good.

before priming,

19088502994_822356a0f7_b.jpgUntitled by sheepers, on Flickr

19715678501_484b749826_b.jpgUntitled by sheepers, on Flickr

19684935646_49c784e63a_b.jpgUntitled by sheepers, on Flickr

after priming.

19524246868_295953aa4c_b.jpgUntitled by sheepers, on Flickr

next is boot lid and then passengers door. boot lid is almost ready for its second coat of primer. maybe this weekend.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...