EURON8 & azzurro's Sign of the Year 1992

azzurro

Episode 1:

Ive been looking for a trailer to do a couple of jobs with. (strip croma, do scrap run, do dump run etc), but holey shit, they go for more than i imagined on trade me. Far more than I wanted to pay for a couple of weekends jobs.

Then, Chris sent me a txt.

g6jrpo.jpg

oh-oh.

After some discussion we decided screw it, if its fucked we will take it to the scrappy ourselves, if not Winning!

Forthwith, here is the tale of our winningness (and scappies, probably)

XSZM5Z.jpg

• Like 5

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Episode 2:

Story as far as i can recall, is that it is/was the trailer for the More FM blimp, and it won sign of the year in 1992.

Trailer box is 5.8m in length and 2.2m wide, 1.65 between the wheel arches a,d about 2.5m in height internally. Its MASSHUUUVE

We went and picked it up last weekend, and after about 2 hours of faffing around, removing the rear doors pumping tyres and whatnot towed it via the long back roads way to Chez-Grant from its last 10 years or so resting location.

Towed sweet, no trouble no fuss, once the flatspots in the tyres smoothed out.

Total Cost to date:

~3 hours

$20.80 ($5 crow bar, $10 sledge and $5.80 sabre saw blade)

To Pay: 1x bottle of Bourbon purchase price

• Like 2

Episode 3: Progress is Made

Last weekend we made a start on this thing.

Idea is to make a trailer that is actually usable for day to day stuff from this b-train, and sell it  once jobs are done for project moneys.(or keep it).

Either way, its too big for anything but towing a blimp, and we havnt got one.

We started by ripping off all the shitty ply to see how rusty it actually it and what we would be working with.

It turns out its not really rusty at all. Everything is intact and working (apart from lights and tyres are perished).

Its just BIG

POUy5i.jpg

Dr Euro-wees preparing the precision instruments

TwWX6i.jpg

After much whiteboarding, engineering calculations and focus groups we decided to chop the front and end sections off.

lpSXM6.jpg

Then cut the drawbar off the front and weld it back on:

ChPcJ5.jpg

stackin dimes

MW0UB5.jpg

Trailer is now towable again, and is no better or worse than when we started, just smaller.

Its about 3.65m tray which will fit most small cars.

Plan is to use the scrap to strengthen the bed a bit, (where the car wheels will go) add a low side frame (leaving the existing box framing) and a front and rear tailgate that can be used as ramps and see how we go from there

This episodes costs:

7 hours each

10x pack cutting discs

1x box Wild Buck, 1x 1.5l Mountain Dew and 3x Pita Pits

1x garage fuse, 1x grinder lead.

• Like 8

Yeah, we are gonnal leave the box as1: its more work to remove and 2: leaves more options for future use (bill board/caravan/coffee cart/horse float/mobile nudie bar etc). Or just pop a tarp on it for camping or whatever.

Will be a small car/big garden trailer initially

also

WANTED:

TYRES

Sensible Option 14" commercial tyres to replace current ones (185/C/R14 van type)

Other option: 2x random 4x114 rims with tyres - maybe lower profile to ease car loading steeps.

PLY: 4 maybe 5x sheets of thick ass treated ply for floor, sides and tail gates.

PAINT: thinking rust converter and Killrust, or Por15 system.

Suggestions/hookups or what have yous?

• Like 3

sunday #4: First paint

Last weekend we finished the heavy stuff, and today we mostly finished welding 'structural' improvements back on, including extra underfloor cross bars, a side rail for the side ply to screw to, and a tie down rail above that.

May put in a few droppers between the two side bars for strength and stop tie downs sliding backwards and forwards.

Dropped the axle out and pulled that apart, apart from the rims being well stuck on, all the beanings and brake parts are in good condition and have/will clean up nicely.

Then we wire wheeled the rough bits, coat of rust converter then a thinned coat of killrust.

3of3p6.jpg

kqr9uz.jpg

Chris is gonna chop a bit more steel for the tail gate and light bar at work so get that all done and another coat o paint next weekend.

BLIMP!

ikVX32.jpg

• Like 2

Yup, Was blerrrdy hawt today!

Got sunburnt.

Welded some shit,

Painted some shit

Took some shit apart.

Frame from the ass end

IMG_3058.jpg

Stub Axles in god nick

IMG_3057.jpg

Because Race Trailer

IMG_3056.jpg

The brakes are a cable system meaning the calipers are a very simple design and sitting for 14 years had done nothing to them except make the pivots a tad sticky, So tear down, wire bush (paint) and chuck em back to together. 

• Like 2

all donations gladly accepted :-D

however the brakes are pretty big so 13s may not fit over them, and all going well we will need some rims/tyres in the next couple of weeks or so for WoF time.

But yes. Trailer stance.

worst happens we can steal a couple of rims from the Primera :blackeye:  (Mrs Gra-ant, can we borrow a couple of rims from the primera for the road fort me and chris have been building?)

13s are pretty expensive for tyres that'll actually carry a decent load. have been down this path recently. 

if you can go 185r14c then doit. they're even sub $100 each brand new for lesser brands.

can you lose height by underslung axle stz? (axle on top of spring vs spring on top of axle... i can't see ics at work and can't remember how suspension was on this beast)

I have a bit of a hoard of 185R14C half worn tyres but i keep them for my tandem that seems to pretty much just rub against kurbs 100% of the times I lend it out. hahah

P-Star - it is possible that you will soon be in the market for a large custom trailer to carry your fine selection of rusty death traps? We may have a great deal for you!

Dolan, it has 185R14s now that are basically unworn and holding air well, but crazy perished. Also tall. Could easily lower it (underslung to over, c-notch or unsprung) but, meh. Not planning on keeping it long.

Mr Out, they may be perfect, at least for WoF, new purchaser can replace original heavy duty tyres on original rims should they care about what they are towing or other road users...

• Like 1