austin owner's 85' 2wd hilux discussion

Greenie

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cheers guys, im stoked with how its coming along.  

Sweet.

Also, it had aircon? waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

hahah yeah its a jap import and they all came stock with aircon, still worked and everything too. 

going on a parts mission today.  *fingers crossed*

• Like 2

looked at the one in pick apart, should be able to grab the front bar aircon radiator bonnet latch and headlight components off it,  the guards arnt flash and im wanting 4x4 ones anyway, but should be able to get a few things.

• Like 1

I would be so gutted if this had happened to me, but it looks like you are on track for a nice rebuild and I hope to see this on the road again.

On a side note if you come across a mint dash pad with no cracks on your travels looking for parts, could you please let me know.

• Like 1

I would be so gutted if this had happened to me, but it looks like you are on track for a nice rebuild and I hope to see this on the road again.

On a side note if you come across a mint dash pad with no cracks on your travels looking for parts, could you please let me know.

sure thing :)  

and thanks for the positive feedback everyone :) 

• Like 1

That's a hard Question, you have an 85 RN45 and its cab is at least 50mm shorter (doors are also shorter) than my 1980 RN46, But I had thought bonnet and guards were the same. I saw an 85 like yours for sale just out of Te Awamutu in a paddock about a month ago (not sure on price). I can make a few phone calls and see if its still there if you like.  

This is what to look and search for. 3rd gen 1979 to 1983,  2wd petrol models RN30,40,41. 4wd petrol models RN46,36 (flared guards on 4wd)

Diesel models have LN instead of RN.

Your model as far as I can understand comes in as 4th gen but holds the old styling and all the ones I have seen have been imports and not sold new in NZ,

this maybe is why you are having trouble?

hope this can help you

That's a hard Question, you have an 85 RN45 and its cab is at least 50mm shorter (doors are also shorter) than my 1980 RN46, But I had thought bonnet and guards were the same. I saw an 85 like yours for sale just out of Te Awamutu in a paddock about a month ago (not sure on price). I can make a few phone calls and see if its still there if you like.  

I knew there were two different cab sizes for the 3rd gen but didnt know about the doors. You can easily tell by the vent grill behind the door. As you can see mine is a short cab (and, being a 30 series, is also a short wheelbase).

2ysn.jpg

Excuse the large pic..

Your issue may be that you are after RN45 specific panels, or 1985 panels. The changeover year was 1984, and most if not all of the 3rd gen hiluxes after this date are Jap imports.

So all the third gen front sheet metal should be the same. Are you going to a round headlight?

• Like 1

cheers guy that helps heaps!!! i never knew so much about the different models. 
i am looking for pretty much everything infront of the windscreen, so doors are not the worry, but from what i understand now there will be a few different ones that will fit so thats a plus!!

I knew there were two different cab sizes for the 3rd gen but didnt know about the doors. You can easily tell by the vent grill behind the door. As you can see mine is a short cab (and, being a 30 series, is also a short wheelbase).

Your issue may be that you are after RN45 specific panels, or 1985 panels. The changeover year was 1984, and most if not all of the 3rd gen hiluxes after this date are Jap imports.

So all the third gen front sheet metal should be the same. Are you going to a round headlight?

i havnt thought about doing the round lights, didnt know i was an option if im honest...

ps. your wellside look mean! 

cheers guy that helps heaps!!! i never knew so much about the different models. 

i am looking for pretty much everything infront of the windscreen, so doors are not the worry, but from what i understand now there will be a few different ones that will fit so thats a plus!!

i havnt thought about doing the round lights, didnt know i was an option if im honest...

ps. your wellside look mean! 

hah cheers dude.

Yea, the prefacelift models (I think 79-81) came out with round headlights, different grill and bezels, different headlight buckets and a rounder bumper. I also found that the mounting points on the bumpers are different too.

also, this joker here is selling cylinders old hilux. http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/toyota/auction-862588067.htm I see he still has the wellside so you could always see if he wanted to sell separate. It'll be rusty but most of them are and it'll prob be cheaper than mucking around importing and fixing a taiwanese one.

you can see in cylinders old thread the earlier headlights etc //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/35393-cylinders-1982-toyota-hilux/