austin owner's 85' 2wd hilux

Greenie

right so, in order to get wof i need to fix the indicators, and there is a lose right front ball joint.  plus the tyres are on there last legs but should be good enough for this wof at least.

i took a quick look at it when i got home and was able to fix the drivers door handle that was on the piss, but a lil WD40 loosened that up. and checked the fuse box and the one for the indicators was blown, and when i put anther one in it blue straight way so clearly something is up. but with my lack of knowledge i dont know where to even start looking, SO ANY ADVICE PLEASE  >discuss here <  because i am admittedly a novice when it comes to the electrical side of things.

but in any case, ive been planning how im going to go about lowering it.  
For the back;  2-4" lowering blocks.  that should be enough because i want to keep the flat deck and am not keen on having to cut out the wheel well. 

For the front;   cut one or two coils, buy shorter shocks to compensate and then wined the torsion bar down and that should be heaps, something like 4-6 inches, maybe more if i wined the bar down heaps

also just planning just widening the steelies that are on it and then stretching some tyres.

right so i got some photos of the yota now as it stands before anything is done,

d2a2ydf2.zln.jpg

ggp5i5c3.vuy.jpg

spz3poig.stu.jpg

and thats it guy, ill hopefully get some work done tomorrow after work and if all goes well, wof on friday or saturday!!

discuss here

so today while i was at work and it was raining dad had the panel-beater/ mechanic/ auto electrician that has been working on his car, take a look at the yota,  came home to my dash pulled apart and wires EVERYWHERE! but in anycase hes ordered the ball joint to be picked up tomorrow and is making a trip to pick-a-part for me at the same time and then hopefully... put my dash back together and have the indicators working.  i would have done it my self this weekend, but it needed to be dont asap as my sister will be using my daily whilst she is here for a holiday so i need at least one of my other cars ready to go.

anyway cheers guys :)

discuss here

good progress over the last couple of days, made a trip to pap to pick up some rims off jamie (highLUX), thanks man im stoked with them,  
got all the rust fixed, ground it all back and prayed with anti rust, then fixed up with a fiberglass mixture then sanded and primed, ready for paint this week some time.  still yet to put the new relays for the lights in so the indicators still arnt working but it shouldnt take long.

d04mm5j5.u40.jpg

gekagspx.su1.jpg

jwpvxhow.pqw.jpg

discuss here

• 2 weeks later...

just a quick picturless update today. over the last couple of days i have managed to clean up and paint the new 14x7s. for the hilux, also she was painted a lovely new shade of white the other day, just need to clean up the roof and bonnet so its all the same colour, looks a lot better already tho.

the rims are a nice gun metal gray, and when i was down getting a puncher in the Austin fixed i priced up some tiers for it. so ill have to order them soon too. also looking at ordering shocks for the front and looking at getting the springs rest soon. just going to wait until i have  my lowering blocks back off my mate who's using them so he can get the  right height for wof haha. 
i was love to show you all some pictures but my phone has broken so i cant right now sorry 

discuss here

had a productive last day of my holidays.  

went for a mission in the austin and managed to buy some new tires and got them mounted and straight home and on to the car. 
took the grill off so i could paint it
started cleaning up the tray
and measured up how much i need to lower it to get the look i want.   worked out to be about 2-3 at the back to have it just under the lip of the tray, and need 4-5 inchs in the front,  5 would be just under the guard which i'm going to have to roll coz the rims are just too wide, but it should look mean  

anyway, still need wof to should really be focusing on that. 

loaded up austin 
rbmy2scg.11w.jpg

needs more low.... 

gtiniftg.c1w.jpg

grill

wv54ma14.qfq.jpg

discuss here

• Like 2

so as it turns out i will had today off work but i didnt realize until i signed in at 8am this morning when the sign in sheet said i was on holiday..

but in any case i went home and worked on the car haha.
started trying to wet/dry, cut and polish the old paint on the bonnet to see if it would come up the same as the new stuff.  but no. still not close. probably gonna have to just paint the rest, will probably take less time too. 

this is my problem...
dmnut44v.dl1.jpg

and this is my attempt to fix it,, 
but unfortunately im REALLY good at sanding and got to the bare metal... ooops.. i guess a respray might be an option...
ilrcfr2n.4rp.jpg

and if you can see how many different shades of white are on that bonnet then you see my problem -.- 

also when looking at the front for lowering i came to the conclusion that the guards will have to be rolled a little bit so it all fits nicely :D 
iml3tvwv.dwl.jpg

discuss here

• Like 2

would anyone happen to know ruffly how low you can get out of the torsion bar alone? because i was looking at investing in drop spindles but it says you have to use a rim 15" or larger and i'm not really wanting to buy another set rims and tires... so looking at what else i can do to get the front down???

discuss here

• 2 weeks later...

picturless update today sorry guys and girls. 
the indicators are now working so all i need to get done is finish putting my dash back together, and then i should be able to take it for a wof!! i wanna lower it before tho so that will be this weekends mission.. but first things first- i need to get my lowering blocks back off my mate who used them to get his wof ( because supposedly his o-wop blocks arnt good enough for vtnz -.- )  but yeah ill keep you all updated.

catch you up!!  :salute: 

discuss here

shot Jamie :)

so yeah as you guys have now seen the ute is SACKED!

Jamie came around yesterday and helped me lower the torsion bars and i did the blocks friday arvo and now the ute is officially a minitruck! 

and in Jamie's words, "you know your car is low when the jack no longer fits under" 

its around 90-100mm at the lowest, was hard to get an accurate measurement haha..
i cut the bump stops down with a grinder as advised and i cut them to about half the original height and the car only just sits on them like only just... so meh,  form over function right  :wink:  

TADA! 

ppobtwm4.gih.jpg

discuss here

• Like 2

been driving the uterus to work the last couple of days and couldnt be happier, ive ditched the 206 for now and im just gonna drive it daily because itll be rude not too   :wink:  

(sorry about the quality)

dbzmbver.1ov.jpg

also while you guys are here, this may seem like a stupid question but is it illegal for me to take tho factory mud flaps off the back tray? because they are ugly and i was just gonna cut them off if its legal for me too do so????    > discuss here <

so at Christmas it seems like the only one the got spoiled was the uterus...
put a 8" slim line sub behind the drivers seat
got some black canvas seat covers
and gave her a full tank of gas  :wink: 

haven't really got a lot planned atm for it, just gonna do the little things to make it look better for now, just while i save up for a new engine :) 
just gonna get things like the mirrors for the front,  re line the deck with something, haven't decided yet.  and possibly a wood grain steering wheel if i can be bothered.

oh and finish the painting haha.

phqxz5xm.fy4.jpg  

nw0lzs4g.his.jpg

and then just because i can... 

xrwqsjab.arr.jpg

discuss here

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

haven't really got much done as im still waiting for parts which sucks dick.

managed to clean up the wiring inside the car and under the bonnet, 
also gave her an oil change, 

aaaand just because i can, i gave it MORE LOW!! 

went from three of my fingers to just the tips of two.
(note: my hands are probably smaller than most of yours)  

probably cant go anymore low until i roll the lip of the guard because its already rubbing as it is, and after driving it daily for about 3 weeks i have pretty much sussed out where i can go without scraping... pretty much every shopping complex, undercover car park, every place with a steep driveway i cant do it,,  as well as faser cove being just one big red zone...  at one place of the other, either the towball, front towpoints or the torsion bolts them selfs will scrap.. torsion bolts are the ones im actually worried about. but meh.

otpqqslb.jf3.jpg

discuss here

• Like 2