Paulluap's 1984 Laser S turbo discussion

0R10N

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Check ballast resistor on start circuit, they bypass when starting then switch over once you release the key so symptoms are a definite possibility.

A link to this discussion thread in your project thread might make it a bit easier to find, they do tend to disappear pretty quick once they're off page 1.

Hope it helps on the startup issue

Cheers

Matt

Check ballast resistor on start circuit, they bypass when starting then switch over once you release the key so symptoms are a definite possibility.

A link to this discussion thread in your project thread might make it a bit easier to find, they do tend to disappear pretty quick once they're off page 1.

Hope it helps on the startup issue

Cheers

Matt

Thanks Matt

My neighbour came over and told me the same thing. I tested the power on coil and it stayed at 12 volts. Couldn't find a ballast resistor any where. Not sure if it has one because it is electronic. It is a bit different to the NZ laser sport twin carb.

Putting it back together tomorrow with original inlet injection system so the only things that have changed will be the block and the head.

If it does the same thing will investigate the ballast resistor further.

Cheers Paul

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/45696-paulluap-1984-ford-laser-turbo/?p=1587914

• Like 1

Just a thought - it could be that the E-101 knock control box has developed a fault, I had an E5T do that once which stumped me for a while.

The E-101 also controls the igniter, so you may get spark momentarily then it'll cut out.

When the car wouldn't start again on the third attempt did you pull the spark plugs to see if they were fuel fouled?

• Like 1

Just a thought - it could be that the E-101 knock control box has developed a fault, I had an E5T do that once which stumped me for a while.

The E-101 also controls the igniter, so you may get spark momentarily then it'll cut out.

When the car wouldn't start again on the third attempt did you pull the spark plugs to see if they were fuel fouled?

On the third attempt all the plugs are dry and still had spark, but will put that on the list if I run into trouble.

Cheers

Hallelujah :)  :)  :)

Its away running. Bit noisy at the moment, need to tighten the tappets.

Had to adjust the timing, which is now different to my original motor but maybe that's because the cam had been worked.

Must be something wrong with the other fuel injection system as well. It can go in the spare parts pile.

All went pretty good apart from when I went to put one of the last stud bolts in to tighten head, it wouldn't fit all the way down. What the  :scratch:

So off came the head again.

After a lot a swearing  :x  :x  :x .Found that when they planed the head, they put one of the locating pins in the wrong hole.

Lucky I had taken a lot of photos before and after.

Tomorrow is tidy up day. :doubt:

Then try and find a couple of pilot lights for the extra alternators, not as easy as I thought it would be, cause everything gone LED.

• 3 weeks later...

Been reading a few blogs where the VJ1 and VJ20 can fit together.
Got myself a VJ20 today so now the fun begins.  :scratch:
igmodt0i.ol5.jpg

For what it's worth, an even easier upgrade would have been to swap the VJ1 exhaust housing onto a VF10. You don't even need to disassemble the core as you've done above.

Hopefully your turbo goes back together and balances up nicely.

For what it's worth, an even easier upgrade would have been to swap the VJ1 exhaust housing onto a VF10. You don't even need to disassemble the core as you've done above.

Hopefully your turbo goes back together and balances up nicely.

Hey thanks.

Yes not sure what to do about the balancing. I marked the exhaust and compressor blades so they line up again. Not sure if that is good enough.

• 3 years later...