Paulluap 1984 Ford Laser Turbo

Paulluap

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Well I have finally started to remove stuff for the temp engine swap.Its been awhile since I have done anything like this.Taking lots of photos so I remember where all the wires go. :)

1xqtem5h.2dz.jpg

Temp E5T motor to go in while I do original motor up. Hope it works. I'm already missing my sounds.

fvja1psu.zvb.jpg

• Like 4

Good productive day today. Motor is out, now have to swap over some parts from old one to new old one.

cefu200i.0yh.jpg

Also does anyone know what I can use to extend my oil pressure gauges. At the moment it is this blue rubber hose, doesn't look very nice.
ir3z1edt.ure.jpg
                                                                                 ilw0kx4a.ezz.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well got a bit more done today. Have been busy with a school production.

Took off this air con unit which has been on the last twenty years going around and around doing nothing :doubt: . (Ripped out air con radiator ages ago to fit inter cooler).

Then I thought hmmmmm theres a space, I need to fill that. :wink: 

0140ve1o.j4u.jpg

There's a couple of brackets in here somewhere.
0lcxsjma.2y1.jpg

Bracket 1
gv41hfi0.o1g.jpg

Bracket 2
beeyhiun.ddq.jpg

Now that should be better. More power for the stereo. :) 
1 alternator at 50 amps for the car electrics and 2 alternators at 80 amps (160 amps total) for stereo.
medyg24o.bjk.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Right so needed to work out wiring for alternators that I had done errrrr ,nearly 20 years ago. Holy sh** .No wonder I couldn't remember how I did it. :shock: 

Ended up following the wires and drawing a circuit diagram, then added some more to it. :badgrin: 

Next job, install these goodies.

je1tkpmw.sqy.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update.

Spare motor in and now connecting everything back together.

2rya3uyv.lyq.jpg

Fuses for stereo and alternators
teej3zck.pvf.jpg

cz0hz0ak.wjv.jpg

Alternators fit nicely -- just. :) Now waiting for a pipe to be made so I can carry on. (Been waiting 3 weeks so far.) :( 

yjr2ismn.sft.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update.

Things not going as well as expected. :(  Spare motor starts but only runs for 5 seconds then stops. Start it again and it goes for another 5 seconds then stops. Then it  just winds over and over. Wait 5 minutes and it all starts over again. Spark good, fuel pressure good. Sometimes when it turns over it sounds like it was getting stuck.

Decided to pull the head off. Hmmmm valves touching pistons. Timing is o.k.

Getting head tested and will put back together with my original intake and see what happens.

In the 5 seconds it did run my alternator lights were not turning off, found that the indicator panels lights I brought were LEDs.

So hopefully if I change them for standards lamps that part should work. :|

tx4nx211.uge.jpg

ed400oh1.weg.jpg

• Like 2

Car running sweet now :) - see discussion thread.

Just a few small leaks to sort.

Got two indicator lights today for the alternators and connected it all up. Works really good so far.

On the left, voltage from car battery and alternator 1.  On the right, voltage for the stereo from the other alternators 2 and 3.

jcbblbnp.ejt.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Stereo working well now, ready for sound off in November. Hoping to beat my 140.4DB  :)

Panel with fuses for motorised bits and indicators for alternators.

y0zsek2h.ic1.jpg

It's turbo time. :-D 
Spare one on car lacks power and is not right so ripped it out again. Never touched a turbo before but thought what the hell I'll give it a go.
Been reading a few blogs where the VJ1 and VJ20 can fit together.
Got myself a VJ20 today so now the fun begins.  :scratch:
igmodt0i.ol5.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Ended up using both VJ1 turbos to make a temp good one.

Next problem was I noticed the stereo battery keep losing its charge over a couple of days.

Started some testing and found one of my $40 alternators has a fault. Went to get another one but no luck.

Pulled it apart to check diodes but they were O.K.

So have put back in for now so I can use the car. Wired in this temp relay to stop it draining my battery when not being used.

tkd0cw5n.krh.jpg

Looking for another 80 Amp one like this if you have one to spare. I think it is from a Ford Telstar. It did originally have a rib pulley, not a v belt.
yjr2ismn.sft.jpg

• 2 weeks later...